SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

How late can I plant in this area? (long)

highalttransplant
17 years ago

We moved to Silt (west of Glenwood Springs) at the end of March and have been waiting all summer for the landscaper to do the hardscape (sprinklers, fence, sod, and prepare flower beds for planting). He dug trenches and laid down some of the pipes for the sprinklers over a month ago, and hasn't been back since. Apparently, he does work for a developer that provides the majority of his income, and his residential jobs are just gravy. I wish I would have know this BEFORE we hired him!

Anyway, he swears he is coming Monday and can finish everything in 2 to 3 weeks. My concern is that even if he actually comes through this time, it will be too late to plant my perennial beds by then, and I will have to wait until spring to get started. What is the absolute latest I can plant in this area? Most of what I need I will have to mail-order, as we are in a small town and there is not much to choose from at the few nurseries nearby. I have spent hours and hours planning what to plant and how many will fit in the beds, and I am anxious to get started. Plus, I am tired of the dirt yard. It is depressing, and the kids are constantly tracking it in the house.

Any advice or encouragement would be welcome. I am in gardening withdrawals :(

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES