SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
col_sprg_maters

Day zero minus 45 days ..activity and questions

col_sprg_maters
13 years ago

For this location by my calculations, I have a 50% chance of a frost around Sep 25. (colorado springs 6650 feet elevation, Northeast side)

So my in the ground plants would have ~45 more days to make semi-ripe tomatoes. (Frost may be earlier, may be later, but I can barely recall what happened last week, much less predict the future.)

All but one have green tomatoes already on them;

Lemon boys, Early Girls, Black Krim, Patio Picnic, Sweet Cherry 100, two heirlooms with lost ID tags.

Today is the day I started preparing for frost by removing their brand new flower buds. I will continue to do that till the plants expire, and at some point remove all buds.

This since new buds odds of making a full grown tomato is less than 50%, and, I would like plant resources to be expended on what is further along.

It feels rather odd, since today is predicted to be over 90 F here today, and maybe tomorow too. (but our high sunday here may not even reach 70F, low of 48F)

I have 30 plants in containers, many of which will be moved into the heated tent greenhouse as the night temperatures decline.

I will continue to water all plants as usual, am in a quandry though about fertilizing and about trimming new leafy growth.

Any words of advice?

Any one else considering upcoming fall yet?

D

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato ripening timeline

Comments (9)