SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Earliest Beefsteak

digit
11 years ago

Treating ALL the tomato varieties about the same in one long, long bed isn't such a good idea. I'm staking the plants this year, along with a modified Florida Weave effort.

I immediately ran into a problem with very robust cherries at one end. They have been kicking out a few ripe fruits since July and are really starting to ripen lots, right now!

And, then there was this Casey's Pure Yellow plant.

This is only about 1/3rd of the plant just to show that fruiting truss. The little plant was so weighted down with tomatoes before I could get started with my string that I was going to either tear it apart trying to tie it up or leave it to more-or-less sprawl.

Actually, it was a tiny Thessaloniki right down in the center of that plant that was the first "beefsteak." I don't know what got into that plant - I've never had a fruit off that variety beating out all the others. And, it was all of the size of a ping pong ball.

This Casey's Pure Yellow is going to ripen 1, 2, 3 and just keep going! I'm really quite pleased with how it is trying so hard to ripen the earliest Beefsteak.

I know that areas to the south had a very early and warm spring so things might be different this year. How are things in your Tomato Patch??

Steve

Comments (8)