SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuttingcollector

Rose Rootstocks and characteristics

cuttingcollector
13 years ago

I was wondering what rose rootstocks (other then Dr. Huey and the ones listed below) there are and what their characteristics are? I know that Dr. Huey is the Âindustry standard as far as rootstocks go, but others, such as multiflora are in some cases better suited. I currently have Dr. Huey, Rosa Multiflora, Rosa Rugosa (Multiple Types), and a unknown wild rose with leaflets of 7 and small pinkish flowers that resemble multiflora (if they root). Also, I have another rootstock for a zephirine drouhin and one Hybrid tea or grandiflora that are Âpre-rooted look to be the same.

Here are Characteristics of the roses that I found:

Dr. Huey: Industry Standard; used on most roses, including standards, and suckers rarely. Resistant to most diseases, except mildew, which is not transferred to the grafted plant. 10-12 feet

Rosa Multiflora: Grown from either seed or cuttings that root readily. It is hardier then most other rootstocks and can be used for weeping forms of standard trees. Viruses effect the plants easily. To about 5m (16 feet)

Rosa Fortuniana: Better in warmer areas, very resistant to nematodes. Slow to get started but catch up afterward. Suckers readily, however, they can be easily identified by the leaf difference.

Rosa Rugosa: Thorny; can be used for standard roses. Growing to 8 feet tall.

Rosa ÂManetiiÂ: Commonly used in California; has more flexible roots then Dr. Huey

Other Rootstocks: Rosa Cania Dog rose, Rosa laxa According to a DK book on propagation by Alan Togood (a very good book) popular and almost exclusively in the UK, and Rosa Polmeriana.

Thanks for reading and please feel add to the list and let me know if I got anything wrong.

The Cutting Collector

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH