SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

How do you get squash and melons to grow?

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

Mine just won't make it. I grow the seeds indoors under lights, and I get healthy seedlings with 2-4 leaves. I transplant them into the ground, and they last several days if they're lucky. I've had several get eaten up--or just flop over and die--within hours.

I keep hearing about how zucchini and watermelon just take over a vegetable bed. Mine never get big enough to take over a flower pot.

I've tried to grow 8-Ball, Parthenon, Ronde Nice, and Black Eel zucchini; New Queen watermelon, and Athena canteloupe. I also have some seeds for Sugar Baby and a miniature canteloupe, but I haven't tried any of them yet. They're in a bed that gets full sun in the mornings and dappled sun in the afternoons. I worked in some compost last year and some Miracle-Gro garden soil. I haven't been able to get compost this year. I don't have a car, so that entails dragging a shopping cart behind me for a couple miles. Last time I did that to get soil home, I did something to my elbow, and now it's painful to lift things.

I've dusted with rotenone and sprayed with pyrethrin. I planted some carrot and lettuce seed in the same bed, and they never came up. I've direct sowed zucchini, never came up. I direct sowed canteloupe. Two came up. One was eaten off at the soil line, even though they were protected by a hot hat, and the other grew a couple more days and then simply completely disappeared. Nothing left but a little hole, like it was beamed away.

I just harvested most of my garlic, which was in this bed, so I have plenty of room for them to spread out, if I can ever get them to survive the first several days, or even the first several hours.

I really wanted zucchini and melons this year!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting