SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malmason

Advice please for sandy soil garden

malmason
14 years ago

Dear all,

I have an opportunity to make a garden for an elderly couple who are moving to country on their daughter's property. They are moving to their new trailer today. I promised them that I will make a garden for them.

The major priority is low maintenance as they are not in good shape, then, color, bloom, and fragrance. I thought about OGR, especially Texas Earthkind roses, such as Carefree Beauty, Marie Parvie, DdB, Louis Phillip, and Martha Gonzarez - I have rooted them by themselves, and they are in 1 gallon pot. I will also drag Almond Verbena out of my pot ghetto. Maybe some Salvia Greggii.

The challenging part is their soil is sandy with small rocks in. I remember reading here before that some people put a plastic shopping bag from grocery store on the bottom of hole that rose goes in to keep water. As the bag gets broken down about the time the rose has stronger root system so it is good. Will there any other tips you can share? Is there any other plants and roses that will be good with sandy soil & drought?

My budget and elbow grease are limited but I sure would like to make a beautiful garden for them.

Comments (7)