SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosewolfie

Novice attempting seed stratification, any advice?

RoseWolfie
12 years ago

I know its long, go to the last paragraph for my questions.

So I garden as a hobbie, not really focused on breeds or such. These 4 roses have grown at my old place for years, having originally been bought as walmart clearance. They suffered through many struggles, from a powerful vine nearly fully killing them, to idiot lawn caregivers running over them several times with a lawnmower.(Even with signs and us telling them to avoid the roses.) They survived and bloom beautiful roses throughout the year.

A couple days ago I walked through my old garden and found a huge amount of plump rose hips on all of them. I plucked them all and started removing seeds. I dont know if they mixed, even if they did I think it would be beautiful. All huge blooms, a purple rose, a sunburst rose, a red to white layered rose and a deep blood red rose. Since Florida weather does not permit winter sowing really, cold stratification is best.

I have read through tons of articles and have come to choose my plan of action. Please tell me if I am missing anything or if it is wrong. I am going to rinse them in a cup of water with a couple cap fulls of Hydrogen Peroxide, rubbing them in a washcloth for cleaning. With more mixed peroxide and water I will soak some coffee filters and put the seeds in, pushing out air bubbles. Into a ziploc bag they go and into my fridge for 2 months. Afterwards they should be ready for planting indoors, since it would be too hot outside. Advice?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor