SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kecs_gw

Inland saltgrass--distichlis spicata

19 years ago

House & Garden this month had a good article on turf. Colorado State and University of Arizona are researching tough native grasses, and inland saltgrass appears to offer a promising alternative to buffalo grass. Researchers have found that it "makes do with less, with roots that penetrate up to 15 feet into the soil, it maintains growth through droughts that would parch even buffalo grass."

So my question is, has anyone here seeded or sodded their yards with distichlis spicata?

DH and I have small front yard--half perennial garden, half lawn. The backyard, what's left of it after the remodel/addition, will also be half and half--yard and perennial/vegetable garden. I may put raised beds on top of the garage on the alley (DH's idea) and grow tomatoes there.

Lots of rain this summer. But normally we have drought conditions in Denver, with two days max designated water days.

Oh, yeah. And we have a 90-lb Labrador. So lawn must bear up under his paw traffic.

Lots of pressure on the block to cultivate a super-green lawn from spring through late fall.

Any hope for me?

Comments (6)