SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
briboe

Recap of my first pepper growing season:

briboe
18 years ago

Just wanted to share how my first pepper growing season turned out (I'm in Michigan). Planted 7 different types, all were started from peat pellets and then transplanted to my garden. Here's how each type turned out:

Bulgarian carrot: very good yields, matured quickly.

Jalapeno: poor yields, many plants never sprouted from the peat pellets.

Carribean reds: took 4 months in the garden to mature, only about half or less had enough time to turn red, very high yields though.

Robustini hybrid (pepperoncini): very high yields, easy to grow.

Italian roasters: very high yields, easy to grow.

Garden salsa: extremely high yields - wow! And these pricks were hot, and they are supposed to be milder than a jalapeno, but were hotter than orange habs.

Tabasco: chalk these up as a loss. The plants are over 5 feet tall and loaded with peppers, but none turned red. The growing season wasn't long enough here. I transplanted one to a pot and trimmed it down, and it seems to be doing well in my sunroom. Hopefully I can put it back in the garden next spring if it lives.

Looks like I would have to start the caribbean reds and tabasco's much earlier. Has anyone else had much success with them in my zone?

My biggest surprise was how hot the garden salsa peppers were. And yes, I'm sure they are garden salsas. What could make them so hot?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals