SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcvilleneuve

Itchy and Giddy at the same time

jchaber
16 years ago

Everything is growing, everything is covered in pine pollen, every little bug has been on me at some point today!!

I just thought that the life going on in my garden and on my window sill were exciting enough to post about.

First, I mixed up the pack of Gaillardia future seedlings and the pack of Mexican hat future seedlings. Now, one of them, has a sprout!! Well, I guess it won't take that long to notice which one it is. Did you all know that chives sprout up folded in half then pop up unfolded? So adorable!!

Next, there are so many butterflies, bugs and lady beetles (they are the good ones) hanging around that I just like sitting out there watching them. I was almost worried that there were aphids, due to the busy ladies, but I don't see any. Maybe they are taking care of (eating) eggs before they even hatch? Spiders and insects and ants with wings(ew), earthworms and tiny grasshopper-ish things...I still itch slightly just thinking about all of those lovely monsters! Who knows what they are up to, busy bugs.

Also, I keep finding new and exciting volunteer plants. I found a tiny, delicate and light purple iris that must have been hiding behind those daffodils. I cut off the yellowing foliage and lo and behold, tiny irises! One of them has a seed pod and I'm not sure if I should collect it or just leave it be...it is like a shiny red button that I can't let alone! Cinquefoil, harebells, gigantic white columbines...some kind of thing with big leaves that just popped out clusters of tiny white and fragrant flowers--whatever they are I see them along the creek and the leaves look like squash leaves.

Lastly, the roses I planted and that were attacked by that awful wind, looked fairly dry, tired and done blooming. Not So! I was tidying up and saw at least five new buds peeking out from new growth. That growth resulted from the nodes that I fully expected to grow after I cut back old blooms. That means I clipped correctly!!! I knew my friend back in Pacific Grove had a reason for showing me how to prune roses. And here I just figured she wanted a little help with her minions. More blooms, yay!

Lucy, our bigger dog (40lb) rolled gleefully in the grass and foliage clippings that I threw all around, with gusto. Both of us, actually, were applying gusto! Granted, now I have to go and put all that future mulch in a neat pile, but that will probably be enjoyable, too.

Who posted that topic a while back about how gardening is the life? I forget, but I enjoyed it.

Rock on!

J.

Comments (16)