SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_wings

ressurecting flower beds, need some help!

lavender_wings
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My name is Mindy, I live in the Denver area. I'm new here, and completely new to flower bed gardening. The house that were are currently living in used to by my fiance's parent's house and his mom was an avid gardener and I've only had a vegetable garden last year. Both the front and back yards are completely edged in beds, and the back yard also has terraced beds. The house was vacant for a couple of years, and the beds neglected. I've tried asking my MIL what do with the beds and she was really vague about it. They used to be very beautiful and lush, and now they're in such a sorry state it just makes me sad to look at them like this!

I'm now trying to bring them back to life, but really have no idea what I'm doing! I've been trying to take out the obvious weeds (haven't gotten to all of them yet), but with some of the plants, I can't tell if they're weeds or not. And there are many things coming up this year that didn't come up last year. A lot of it seems overgrown to me, so I've started taking out some of the plants that look spent, which is helping, but beyond that I'm clueless! The driveway is also lined with hedges, but it's dying and I don't know why. It doesn't appear to have any diseases, but large parts of the bushes are just dead now.

If anyone can offer some advice on how to go about this, or direct me to a good place to start, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!!

Mindy

BTW, I'm including a link to some pictures of it. I took them mid weeding so there's stuff everywhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: yard album

Comments (7)