SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geminidream

Not Queen Elizabeth

geminidream
18 years ago

After giving a friend a tour of my roses, she brought me a bouquet from her yard of her prized rose said to be Queen Elizabeth. (sorry, my ditital camera isn't good enough for this forum) I haven't seen the bush in person but she says it is really tall. The roses she gave me are a brighter pink with lighter pink reverses than photos I've seen of QE. (I had two QE's two years ago that never made it past their first summer so I don't remember them that well.)

Whatever these roses are they are lovely, large loose flower heads with at least 30-40 petals. Wish I'd saved some of the leaves I stripped off. The leaves nearest the heads that I left on are just the clusters of three leaflets but they are an interesting shape. The margins are nicely cut but the leaflets are nearly round with a slight point at the tip. They are 6" so the 5-leaflet leaves must be more than that. The canes aren't that thick but do have red thorns. I thought this might be Pink Peace but the leaves in photos look different.

The roses have a very strong fragrance and everything I've read about QE lists it as a mild fragrance. I don't want to argue with my friend but am really curious about what this rose is...it has enabled me into wanting to keep it but I don't have any luck with cuttings.

Any ideas?

Molly

Comment