SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_wutz

Queen Elizabeth Rose Bush Underperforming

Anthony Wutz
4 years ago

I have three Queen Elizabeth rose bushes. They are growing ok, but they are not as Vigorous as they were before. The first year they were planted they all had Long thick canes that were 6 feet high and produced high quality flowers. This year has not been as great. The new canes are not as thick as last years and they are producing less flowers. I live in northern Illinois so I know it’s not the easiest place to grow roses. I gave the plant ok winter protection. I mounded mulch on the base of the plant put a cone over it and and filled it with leaves. I also planted it a few inches below the soil line. the canes still suffered winter damage, but the Canes at the base managed to service the winter. Since the new growth is so Spindly I’m wondering if it is because my rose is planted to deep and can’t penetrate The soil, or if the winter damage was too much for the plant? Any advice on growing grandifloras In the zone 5 would be greatly appreciated. All three roses are grafted. That is why I planted them a few inches below the soil line.

Comments (10)