SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Links to identify nutrients deficiencies & cheapest fertilizer

strawchicago z5
9 years ago

I posted several links to identify nutrients deficiencies in plants, but they are scattered all over this forum, so I organize them in this thread.

Balanced & low-dose fertilizer is the best approach to prevent nutrients deficiencies. Tomato Tone NPK 3-4-6 is sold out at Walmart, but they still have Plant tone NPK 5-3-3, big bag for $10 each. I'll go ahead and order Tomato Tone from Amazon, $8.47 per bag, but free shipping for orders over $35. Good deal with 4 bags with free shipping.

I checked my tomatoes in front: 100% healthy, no yellow leaves. I fixed that soil with lots of gypsum, plus 1 cup of tomato tone ... I don't water that bed. The tomatoes in my back yard have yellow-margins on lowest leaves, typical of potassium deficiency. I used Jobes NPK 2-7-4, and NOT enough gypsum. I should had used Tomato-Tone with NPK 3-4-6 instead.

Below link is excellent, it identifies what becomes deficient when a particular nutrient is supplied in excess. When calcium is used in excess, will induce deficiencies in potassium and boron. Here's my experiment of throwing gritty lime on one tomato plant, it immediately shows potassium deficiency: lower leaves have yellowish margins, from excess calcium and raising the pH:

Here is a link that might be useful: What's in excess can produce deficiencies

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 17:08

Comments (56)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm