SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petworth_gardener

raised bed nutrient deficient?

petworth_gardener
13 years ago

Hi - New to this forum and looking for some opinions on fixing the soil in my raised vegetable bed!

In mid-March I constructed a raised bed and filled it as advised by my local garden shop: about 50% pine fines, 25% organic matter rich bagged topsoil; and 25% bagged compost (mix of leaf & manure). I think that this soil is woefully inadequate in N based on the following observations:

- the radishes I planted on 3/22 have produced only 3-4 tiny radishes. Some of the radish leaves are yellowish.

- carrots and beets planted on 3/22 sprouted but have basically not grown at all past sprouting (1 inch high or so)

- cucumber seedlings I transplanted into the raised bed about three weeks ago have also not grown much. But I planted another seedling in a big pot with potting mixture, and its leaves are about 2x as big as in the raised bed.

- peas I planted on 3/22 and beans I planted two weeks ago are the only things that seem to be growing with any speed. Since peas and beans fix N from the air, this leads me to believe that lack of N in the soil is the problem for the other stuff.

In addition to the problems with N, the soil mix also seems to drain too quickly because of the high percentage of pine fines.

Here are my ideas for fixing the situation:

- feed this weekend with foliar fertilizer. I picked up some "organic" 8-4-4 stuff from Home Depot.

- add some alfalfa pellets

- for the bigger plants, top dress with a healthy layer of composted manure

- if the beets, carrots, and radishes don't take off, then give up and work in a bunch of compost in those sections and plant some seedlings instead.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville