SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
securitysweetums

Watermelon Wackiness

securitysweetums
15 years ago

Hello all!

This past week, a watermelon was auctioned in Japan for the amount of $6,100. It was a Dasuke watermelon, with a black rind, and exceptionally sweet flesh. The auction is a regional thing, with the monies raised used to help subsidize local farmers, hence the high amount, but these particular melons sell in that area for about $180-$233 each. Talk about exotica!

Being somewhat weird when it comes to offbeat things, strange varieties of vegetables are a fascination for me. I did a web search, and found a black rind, seedless watermelon from Park Seed, and ordered a pkt. yesterday. I hope they arrive by the end of the week!

Now, having gotten carried away (yet again!) back in April, I've already killed a half dozen strawberry plants and the two tomatoes I planted for this year, so perhaps it is a bizarre form of "empty-nest" gardening syndrome...These melons are 80 days to maturity, which will put me into early to mid September for harvesting. It will be pushing the envelope a bit, but should be one heck of an adventure.

I found a LOT of wonderfully helpful information here at GardenWeb, so I've joined to thank Skybird and the Waynes, and others who have shared their experiences, knowledge, and encouragements.

I will take photos of my Wild Watermelon Wackiness as I find out if there is still enough of a growing season to harvest my exotic black watermelons. And I'll post updates along with links, so you can share my adventure with me.

Nice to meet you all!

~M

Comments (2)