SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meitsme

Need Help With Getting Rid of Junipers and planting HollyHocks

meitsme
16 years ago

I have a black thumb and have no idea what I am doing.

We recently moved into a new house that is full of junipers! YUCK! (I did not even know what they were called till a friend of mine came over and told me.) So I have been out there with steel shovel, clippers, lobbers (is that what that thing is called that cuts through thick branches and roots?) and the like. I have gotten all up but one (ended up bruising my bones yesterday - didn't know one could bruise bones, but the doc in the ER said that is what I had done).

However, these things are like WEEDS and have roots EVERYWHERE! I have dug pretty deep down and hacked at those things, but am unsure if I have to get them completely up before planting anything else there. We want to plant HollyHocks (sp?). I don't want junipers coming back up. I want the neighborhood kids to be able to come over and make HollyHock dolls and the like without worry of junipers.

So my question is, do I have to get every bit of these things out, or is just getting MOST of it out gonna do just fine? There are still a few long thick roots spreading out here and there, and some of the thin little roots still down in there.

Also, the soil looks so worn and tired (can soil look like that?), so what do I need to do to freshen up the soil before planting the HollyHocks? (We are getting ones that have already been started.) How long does the soil have to have had time to refreshen before planting?

I am pretty sure I am going to need to add more soil, but what else? Thanks for any hints and tips on this endeavor!

Comments (6)