SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Wind-whipped gardens

digit
17 years ago

I was teasing Billie a couple weeks ago about using silt fences. I don't know what is the matter with me, sometimes, the light's on but nobody's home and sometimes the light doesn't even come on in my little pea brain . . . Sorry, Billie.

I was trying to think of how to help an Alaskan gardener grow and ripen tomatoes. The problem with wind-whipped gardens came to mind.

My large veggie garden must be the windiest location within miles. Yesterday, we were finally getting some significant rain. Of course, we're also trying to get cabbage, kale, and broccoli transplants out there to take advantage of it. Lunch time rolls around and we drive about a mile away. It stopped raining and the wind died. Drove back after lunch into the howling storm. What a difference a mile makes.

I'm not going to put up protection just because there are too many square feet in that garden and the cost of material would be prohibitive but has anyone considered protective fencing in their gardens?

I'm thinking of a fence that would utilize plastic film - I know, a silt fence. Clear film would not significantly cut down on sunlight and the attempt wouldn't be to limit water erosion or contain soil but more like cut down on wind erosion - wind erosion of plant tissue, at least.

One significant caution is that without using UV resistant film, the sun will damage the material and it will blow apart after about 3 months. That could be okay if one was to put it up in May and only expect a need for it until mid Summer. I can also see a possibility of growing pole beans against it and allowing them the full run of the fence after the film is removed.

Fencing would need to be closely placed to protect very much of the garden. If it was placed along a windward side, it wouldn't be of any protection 50 feet away. A small area might be completely enclosed. I can see this deterring rabbits for a few important weeks until the plants grow beyond vulnerable seedling size.

On a related note, and more akin to a tunnel than a fence, I'm going to refer you back to that horizontal tomato trellis that Rick built. I posted a message on it here earlier (& am now straining to understand an iota of what Cnetter accomplishes so well with links in text :o): tomato trellis/tunnel The photo of a table full of Brandy Boys is proof of the pudding! You can see them more directly at the link below.

DigitS'

Here is a link that might be useful: EbbMc's tomato trellis

Comments (7)