SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

Some Thoughts on Photography

mashamcl
14 years ago

I think most people on this forum take very good pictures, and I certainly enjoy looking at them no matter what camera is used or which rose is photographed. But I have been asked a few times recently what camera I use, and I am afraid that simply saying that I have a Nikon DSLR might start some people thinking that any idiot can take good pictures with an expensive camera. However, as I discovered myself, wonderful pictures don't automatically come out of a DSLR. I went out into the yard just now with my Nikon D3000 and took a picture of Sunsprite. Here it is.

{{gwi:1221646}}

What I am hoping to show is that the type of camera matters less than knowing how to take pictures, i.e. what conditions to take pictures in, what your camera can do, and taking lots of pictures for the sake of a very few good ones. I know that because until I got my Nikon I took pictures with a camcorder which wasn't really meant to take stills. The macro pictures I took with it were really really bad until I discovered that it had a manual focus option and a few other things. Here is one of the best pictures it took:

{{gwi:1221648}}

I personally think it is quite a bit better than the Sunsprite picture above taken with the Nikon. I hope I have made my point.

There is a lot to say on how to do photography, and I am certainly not an expert on it at all, but here a few things that I found helpful:

1. Sharpness. Concentrate on not moving when taking pictures (especially when you depress the shutter release button). As an experiment, try taking a picture of anything with your elbows propped up on a table, retaining wall, etc. If pictures come up noticeably sharper, invest in a tripod and remote shutter release device (or use a timer if your camera has one). Do not take pictures when there is wind. Use the free software (photobucket "edit" option) to tweak sharpness a little (not too much).

2. Light. Do not take pictures in mid day bright light. Overcast or early morning is best. Late in the afternoon colors tend to go too blue. If your camera has an option of manually adjusting exposure try adjusting it way down to reduce glare. Do not take pictures of a bloom that is half in shade and half in sun unless you are aiming for some kind of special effect.

{{gwi:1221650}}

3. Focus. If your camera has manual focus, use that. The camera can't be expected to always know where to focus. If auto is the only option, find what distance gives you the best pictures. On my camcorder extreme closeups never worked.

I hope it helps a little. Again, I am not an expert by any means:-).

Masha

{{gwi:208646}}

Comments (9)