SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Got a Potato Leaf Early Girl

13 years ago

What do you think I should do with it . . ?

I just about always have Early Girl tomatoes - a few.

When Early Girl came out, I was in this terrible quandary over finding a tomato that was early enuf to ripen where I lived at the time. I settled for Sub-Arctic . . . just like I settled for Polar Vee sweet corn . . .

Even after I moved to a warmer area, I didn't want to jump on any bandwagon. And, it was fairly obvious by then that there was an Early Girl Bandwagon! Finally, I must have begun to suspect I was cutting off my nose to spite my face - or, something. Grew "Bush" Early Girl one year. Now, that was a mistake!

Anyway. I only have one potato leaf variety this year - Bloody Butcher. Actually, I have shied away from them. There seems to be this idea out there that potato leaf tomatoes are more inclined to cross-pollinate. Ay Caramba! I have had Bloody Butcher for 3 or 4 years and am still afraid to save any of my own seed.

The EG's and BB's were not sown near each other. Of course, there could have been a stray seed . . . What do you think my chances are of having something unusual and more importantly, something useful?!

Steve

Comments (15)