SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Pepper Harvest and another ID question

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I haven't posted harvest photos in a while, thought I should now. Season is ending - last farmer's market today, though if the weather holds out (and dries out!) I may still get some ripe pods. Waiting for those cherry bombs!

Serranos in the bowl, pimentos (or Jubilee, anyways they're roasting peppers picked green for stuffing since they were so big and I don't know if they'll have time to ripen) next to them, sweet bananas in the upper right. But what are the 2 in the bottom row? I thought they were Numex Sunrise (though I haven't had any ripen), but the ones on the left are wider and blunter than the ones on the right.

Closeup of blocky ones (pretty hot when grilled with the seeds in them!)

Closeup of smaller ones (I've only had these mixed with the others and covered with cheese in a casserole, deseeded so not that hot but could be hotter than the blocky ones)

And now moving to the hotter end of the counter - jalapenos and cherry bombs to the left, Hinklehatz (ripe and unripe) in the middle, cayenne up top and Thai (birdseye?) on the right.

I also picked a couple of small Chablis (yellow) and Carnival (purple) bells, and a 8 good-sized green bells (King of the North and Rainbow Whopper). Left some in the garden to hopefully ripen but I doubt we have that much time.

If someone can ID those 2 Anaheim/Ancho type (I don't think I planted anything other than what I've mentioned! Plus Hot Portugal which aren't ripe yet) I'd appreciate it.

Shelly

Comments (19)

• Ictus
    12 years ago

Sorry I cannot help specifically identify, but I believe I have grown the exact same peppers as the lower right ones in the 1st pic, and the 2nd closeup picture. All I know for sure they are a Hybrid, but since my wife bought them and forgot I am out of luck!

I find them to be pretty spicy. Much hotter than a jalapeno, maybe half or less as hot as a habanaro but without the complex taste of the habs. Also the ones at the start end end of the season tasted a little better, but that just could be my lack of knowing care.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Nice looking peppers. Sorry I can't help you ID any of the U/I peppers though. But I appreciate the nice photos. Especially like the photos of your Banana Peppers. I grew what I was told by a reputable dealer that I had Sweet Banana Pepper seeds. It turns out they were Hot Hungarian Wax and the photo of your Banana peppers pretty much confirms my assertion. My peppers look very similar but are a bit shorter and more stocky and seem smoother skinned.

• Related Discussions

Another newbie to pepper growing

Q

Comments (21)
    That would be us. Kinda like the blind leading the blind, eh? Hello. My name is Dennis, and I'm a chilehead. [chorus: "Hello Dennis"] Nice selection! I did the same thing last year, planting multiples of each (not quite as many) variety and ended up with 100+ babies. By the time they got up to half gallon pots I had 80 or so. I put an ad on craigslist and gradually sold them down to 35 by September. Met some very interesting people that way. Ghost, any chocolate variety, ornamentals sold well. One guy bought four of my five red fatalii. Scorpions ("world's hottest"), thai, and korean did not sell as well as I expected. I guess I made about $120, but that wasn't as important as finding them good homes. Rather than thin the herd now, I'd try to keep them as long as possible. No way I thought I'd be able to support 60 large pots but it worked out. Here's a hint: use wire shelf racks - the kind with the bent-over edges - to hold the pots up off the ground and you can set them out on the lawn without killing the grass. Let us know how it goes. And know that -- we're here for you. This post was edited by DMForcier on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 13:35
    ...See More

Yep, you guessed it. . .another ID question!

Q

Comments (2)
    Hmmmm...never thought of that one. These puppies are pretty gosh darn hot though. Could have crossed with something possibly.
    ...See More

Harvest Time & Pepper Pics From this Year

Q

Comments (1)
    MMMMM Roasted Pepper! Me encanta! BTW nice germination setup
    ...See More

Another Pepper ID thread

Q

Comments (23)
    Lol, it is lip smackin good! I've done a fast version of it by chopping up a pineapple and saute it in butter on low heat to break it down, add brown sugar, get it gooey and then toss in the middle ced peppers. It is a helluva mess, but.....mmm mmm good. I like the glaze to be thick and caramel like and then slow cook the ribs/steak.
    ...See More
  • 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, maybe those skinny ones are Hot Portugals? What I thought were HP are looking more like cayenne, but I think things got mixed up in the greenhouse (or in the truck on the way home). I did get some HP plants at Agway but the peppers on those are still so small I can't tell if they're the same. Are Portugals much bigger than cayennes? Can you eat them green?

The flat ones (that I found spicy with the seeds) almost look like a Cubanelle or a frying pepper, but I didn't think those were supposed to be hot.

• peppermeister1
    12 years ago

My guess (emphasis on the word GUESS)is that the skinny long ones look most like my Pepper Joe Cayennes, which also might be Long slim cayenne.
    The fatter/flatter one looks a lot like my Big Jim so I would assume it's definitely some type of NuMex cultivar.
    Great harvest either way!

Here is a link that might be useful: check out PEPPERMEISTER for gardening tips, spicy recipes and chile info

• northerner_on
    12 years ago

Great harvest. Such healthy looking peppers. I am just holding out for a few more days before our first official frost, to make my hot pepper harvest. Got started a little late, but looking forward to some habs. and Scotch Bonnets for pepper sauce. I will use the jalapenos and cayennes for cooking.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Those long skinny green ones (in the 2nd closeup) aren't cayennes, they are much wider/longer than the cayennes. I didn't pick any of what I thought were hot Portugals since I was waiting for them to ripen, but those pods are just a little bigger than the cayennes in the photo.

Are HP's about the size of cayennes, or are they much bigger? Almost as long as the Numex, but not as fat or flat.

Thanks for the compliments - my peppers got a slow start this year too (esp. the banana and the king of the North bells) but aside from some losses from hurricane/rain they are looking really good. Best crop in a bad year (which isn't saying much - had nice cukes beginning of the season, but tomatoes and squash didn't last long with all the rain the past 2 months).

I had *beautiful* crisp green bell peppers, estimated could hold about 3/4C - 1C of stuffing so picked them, only sold TWO (and 6 bananas, a few jals and the cherries)! One lady told me they were small, she was used to grocery store peppers. I told her I thought these were good-sized, refrained from saying that the grocery store peppers weren't (for the most part) organically grown, were probably waxed, and a week or more old, not 5 hrs old (I picked in the AM)! But the same lady thought $6 for a jar of jam was too much, I did tell her then that I could sell wild blackberries for $5/pint in season, so had to charge $1 extra for the jar, sugar, etc. to make the jam.

Sorry for the rambling - had to vent. That was last market of the year, guess I have lots of peppers to freeze, pickle, and make jam/jelly from (I did manage to sell 3 jars of pepper jelly and 1 fruit jam - bad night, I usually sell more).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I hate uneducated buyers who have no appreciation for the time and effort that go into growing/cooking.
    If I were selling at a local market, I would give one of my friends some cash to come buy a bunch of stuff
    from my booth - you know, to break the ice and bring other folks in ;-)

Josh

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made tomato soup for lunch out of the spotty ones on my counter (and a few that got soft spots sitting in the truck since Fri night. More tomatoes going to my parents for salad (we're going for dinner, yesterday was my Bday). Not really enough to make salsa. But tomorrow I start pickling peppers! I'll freeze the bells til I get some ground meat for filling (and my mom takes the kids some weekend - neither kid eats stuffed peppers, though DS likes almost everything else. DD doesn't like anything).

I do have 1 man who said he'd contact me about buying peppers even now that market is over (I've given him some free ones since his wife does the complimentary coffee at market). And maybe that single guy will too - though I doubt it. He did say he was interested in starts in the spring.

Local historical society contacted me about jams and jellies for a Tavern Night (19th century tavern) fundraiser. If I donate them and get some recognition on menu/program or something, maybe I can get more sales for jams/jellies. Though pepper jellies aren't authentic. But anything that spreads the word (we are the only farm in town, just on the town line off a cul de sac and a 700ft driveway) will help for next year. Get people buying apple butter, then Jalapeno Apple Jelly, then jalapenos and who knows where it will go from there? Too bad Tavern Night isn't til Nov.

• michelelc
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I'm no expert, but I grew hot portugals for the first time this year, and your second close-up looks exactly like my hot portugals. I bought the plant in a 4-pack of mixed hot peppers, and they were very prolific, and delicious. After they turned red, I roasted them on the grill, chopped them up, and added them to pasta sauces I made with my tomatoes. I never grew them before, and they are on the top of my list for next year, great flavor and moderate heat.
    Congrats on your pepper harvest. With this cooler than average, wet summer, growing in general has been frustrating. ALL the peppers I grew from seed, one by one, died, and a lot of purchased plants died. But, purchased hot pepper plants did well, so I am looking on this forum for lots of good recipes!

Michele

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Michelle, the Hot Portugal I got from Agway (labeled) is smaller, like a cayenne. The 1 on that plant isn't ripe yet, but I can tell it's the same as on the 2 plants I started from seed - in the middle in this picture. Cayenne on the right and quarter coin for reference.

The unknown pointy one on the left was harvested last week and started turning orange on the counter! I will assume the flat ones were Numex Sunrise since they look like the Numex Big Jims, but I still have NO idea what these are!

Oh, and I did see your request for Thai pepper jelly recipe - but I'm not happy with it, still needs work if I can find lemongrass again. Ball Complete book has a Thai pepper dipping sauce (no lemongrass) with lots of vinegar, Small Batch Preserving has a Thai chili sauce with ginger (again no lemongrass) - let me know if you want the recipes.

You may not be far from me I'm in NW CT) - send me an email if you want plants to overwinter.

• michelelc
    12 years ago

Hi Ajsmama,

Funny, my Hot Portugals were much bigger than a cayenne. Thanks for the offer of plants to overwinter, I really appreciate it. I live on the North Shore of MA, so not too close. I over-wintered a few plants last year, and didn't find a big difference in yield, and got a ton of fruit flies all winter in my house, so I think I'm going to skip the over-wintering this year.
    I have both books you referenced, so I'll check out the recipes. I was interested in one with lemongrass, as I really enjoy the flavor and have a lemongrass plant in a pot on my deck that I do over-winter. It's time to harvest some now :)
    Michele

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love lemongrass (and galangal too, but ginger is close enough). I might have to grow it, if I can find the bulbs. The stalks I got from Stop & Shop were pretty sorry, I was going to buy some at Big Y last night but they were on the end of the belt and never made it down to cashier, I got home and they weren't in the bag (but I didn't charged for them either)! And there were only 2 bunches in the store!

• michelelc
    12 years ago

You should definitely grow lemongrass! It's very easy. I bought a plant a few years ago, and put it in a 12" pot. At the end of the season, I cut it down to the soil, then put it in my basement in the pot, leave it there to the spring, and then re-pot it some fresh soil and it does wonderful. I don't grow it in the ground, b/c I've heard it spreads a lot and I don't have the space. I wish we were closer, I'd be happy to give you some. I pull up the stalks and freeze them at the end of the season.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Next time I'm up to the Boston area, I'll have to send you an email. Pixie Lou from Harvest is up there too, we met in Feb and we still have to swap our jars back.

Melly sent me a link to this recipe (actually, I think she posted this on Harvest when I was asking about lemongrass jelly). I wasn't rally happy with the pepper/lime lemongrass version - need to work on that recipe a bit more.

But here's a way to use the lemongrass even if you don't use the peppers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemongrass and ginger jelly

• User
    12 years ago

Shelly, the green skinny ones look just like my Big Jim peppers. Right now the Big Jims are turning red on the plants; they seem to be enjoying the fall weather.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks - now I'm really confused ;-) The big flat ones started turning yellow so I'm sure those are the Numex Sunrise, still don't know what the thinner pointier ones that were about the same length (2nd closeup, and on the left in the picture with the quarter) are since those started turning orange (on their way to red?).

Unfortunately this great harvest went to waste since DH just decided a couple of days ago to start eating raw peppers - beginning with the bananas. By that time, all the mystery ones had started to wrinkle and turn orange, and the Numex were also wrinkling. Jals, bananas, and cherries went to my cousin.

I still have some bells I picked 2 weeks ago, will use 1 or 2 in salad tonight, Hinkelhatz have been seeded (saving seed, got plenty though may have crossed, if anyone wants any) and put in vinegar, and cayennes & Thais are looking OK in fridge waiting to be turned into hot sauce. I've just been busy with apples and quinces lately.

Rest of the peppers are doing well on the plants since weather has been warm, but by this time next week we could have killing frost so I have to get busy harvesting and preserving them.

• tsheets
    12 years ago

If I were you, I'd test a couple of those seeds now just to see if they sprout (that way you don't have any surprises down the line). I don't know anything about the peppers, but, if they're green, the seeds might not be viable/mature.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, the Hinkelhatz were ripe. I didn't save seeds from green peppers, in fact I left some pods on the plants really long to make sure they were ripe enough to save seeds. But I will test some before I send them out to people (or save them for myself). Wish there was a way to tell if they were crosses!

How long do pepper seeds need to dry?

• tsheets
    12 years ago

Oh, ok. Sorry, I just saw the pic with all the green ones right above. My bad! They don't really need to dry or cure for germination as far as I know. Mostly to not grow fuzzy stuff while in storage. I have just left them out for a week or two and call it good.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting