SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Spring Swap: Wishlist

highalttransplant
16 years ago

The Spring Swap is less than a month away, how about a wishlist thread?

Okay, I'll go first, that way EVERYBODY that posts later will see my list : )

Here are things I would love to have:

Chives (I think Irisgirl said she would be bringing some)

Garlic Chives

Lemon Verbena

Tricolor and/or Golden Sage

Alstromeria 'Sweet Laura'

Chocolate Cosmos

Upright Sedums - 'Autumn Charm' 'Postman's Pride' or anything else I don't already have

There are a couple of perennials that I'm still waiting to see if they come up, and some seeds that haven't germinated yet, so this list is by no means complete. I feel certain that even if no one brought a single thing from that list, I would still have plants climbing into the car with me : )

What I will be bringing:

Sedum 'Neon' (3)

Mums - red and yellow

Plus any tomato and pepper plants that I can't squeeze into my vegetable garden, and any annuals that are left over after the pots on the porch are filled with my wintersown sprouts.

Some kind of baked goods for the potluck.

Okay, who's next???

Bonnie

Comments (133)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    15 years ago

The orange daylily has your name on it, Billie! The only other thing I have you down for that IÂm bringing is one of the pineapple mints. Anything else of mine youÂd like to adopt?

I spent a couple hours today collecting and marking sedums and hen & chicks for the people that want them. WeÂre supposed to have wet and/or snowy weather by Tuesday, so I wanted to be sure to get most of the outside stuff done before then. NOAA says less than a half inch of snow accumulation, but the one local TV channel is predicting 1-3 inches. IÂd love to get the moistureÂas rain, so I hope NOAA is right this time.

It looks like we should have great weather for the swap!

Skybird

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Bad News - My kids school is doing graduation on May 17th at 4:00. That means that I will be a Charlene's place at 1:00, but will have to leave by 2:00, not much I can do. My daughter is continuing to High School Saturday, so I cannot miss it. But I won't miss the swap either.

Ok other note, I am going to do what I can to collect the pots before the swap, Saturday morning if I have to. I did not get the master list done this weekend, way too busy, but I promise to get it done tomorrow. Let me know if anyone else wants pots so I can get what is wanted and not have too much.

Billie

• Related Discussions

Check out the new wishlist swap at Round Robin Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    I started up a new type of swap where you list your wishlist of seeds and see if anyone can grant some of your wishes and you can see if you can grant anyones wishlist as well. Here is the link for the post http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg0402344527290.html?7. Paula
    ...See More

Spring Swap...aka 'Spring Fling!'

Q

Comments (31)
    Sorry, my internet(dail-up) was down because of the storm. Can't complain for less thatn $10 a month... Requests to hear more from me attended to... though I'm not sure what kind of info you're looking for. Open to questions. Hubs is attending OUHSC grad school in Epidemiology (got his bachelor's in Math). Been married for going on five years. My favorite color is blue, I used to like animals until I had a child. I got a BS in History with a minor in AmeriGov. My favorite books right now are the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, though I think my all time favorite might be Les Miserables. I'm extremely analytical and inquisitive--my recent conquests for knowledge have included sewing, quilting, using a digital camera correctly, veterinary work for an accident prone cat, instructing classical guitar (you get a different perspective as a teacher, naturally) and (of course) gardening. Gardening is less of fleeting interest than the rest though, because I see it as more of a responsibility to learn than anything else--you know, being able to feed yourself and beautify your land. Not sure how much to give away... I think my blood type is O...? We recently bought a house in the SW area of OKC and had one good plant this last year--zucchini, which for all I know is the easiest thing to grow on earth so it had nothing to do with me :) I recently bought some seeds to start a chocolate vine on my back fence, and as soon as I figure out what I want I'll get started on landscaping. I like lambs' ear, but only because it feels nice. It's really not very pretty. I like roses, but I don't want thorns around curious children, and I'm poor :) I think it's pretty safe to say that I have no natural ability in the area of growing plants, so I need more time with those that do, or have at least acquired that ability. Hope that's enough, and again, ask all the questions you want, but don't get mad if I don't respond immediately, I have limited internet access as my husband uses the computer for school/research, and our service stinks. Thanks for your time.
    ...See More

NEW: I.E. 3rd Annual Spring Fling Swap

Q

Comments (40)
    "Yffterday I refeeved m'box frmmm Mliffa,...effclooff me...(chew-chew-slurp-swallow) - Ahem,...there, that's better. Forgive me,...I received Melissa's (mellovesgardening) box yesterday and as I'm sitting here typing this I've been sampling the totally tasty sugar free, Splenda-sweetened, variety flavored "Jelly Belly" jelly beans she included (plus *regular* sugared ones as well for Elly & Roy (told Roy they're "Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans" from the wizarding world of Harry Potter)) - So, shall I tell you, now, about the rest of Melissas's marvelous box conents?! Yes?!! Right, then,... Seriously, I'll tell you what, Melissa may be a newbie, but she certainly packs a great swap box!! Item #1) A neat little hollow ceramic guy,...green with blue sneakers. Muppet representation of a green thumb critter, perhaps? Anyway, he's kewl (there are even small white shoelaces hot-glued to the sneakers) and he was stuffed with sugar free Life Savers candies and a folded-up surprise packet of Rye Grass seeds (cleverly sneaky, that!). The Life Savers have since been removed to a zip-bag and now the Muppet green thumb is next to our computer, loaded with Q-Tips. Useful, yes, although arguably not nearly as much fun. Item #2) A wonderful tin of "Badger Balm - For Hardworking Hands" organic hand balm. Elly and I are both using this already,...mostly Elly. Nice stuff! It's made-up of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Beeswax, Castor Oil, Aloe, and Birch & Wintergreen essential oils. Smells good, not greasy. Feels great! :) Items #3) Candy-candy-candy!! Woo hoo!! For me: Sugar free chocolate crispy caramels, sugar free Life Savers, sugar free Jelly Belly jelly beans. For Elly & Roy: Sugar sweetened Jelly Belly jelly beans, Laffy Taffy. Items #4) Seeds: Holy criminey! Tons! Rye Grass, Radish: German Giant / White Icicle / Early Scarlet Globe, Bean: Kentucky Wonder, Anise, Turnip: Purple Top White Globe, Brussel Sprouts: Catskill, Parsley: Moss Curled, Pea: Burpee Early, Eggplant: Egg Tree, Spinach: Bloomsdale, Printemps Lettuce, Cilantro, Tomato: Prudens Purple / Big Rainbow / Pepper: Sweet Banana / Poblano. - Basically an entire garden's worth! Thank you so much, Melissa and Bryan! - Oh, and on a weird, fun note, (LOL!!);...tonight we were at our favorite local mom-n-pop store and in my pocket I had a small zip-full of the green plastic Easter grass you packed your/my box with. I went into the back room and seriously asked our friend, Gloria, if she wanted some really good "grass" (aka marijuana), to which she shot back "No!" But then I persisted "This is the best stuff, though! (pulling it out of my pocket) I know it is, `cause I bought it off the Easter Bunny!" Then, of course, she cracked up, realizing she'd been had! LOL!! :D So, thanks for that fun, too!! :D What a great swap/mnf-interaction this has been!
    ...See More

new: new: wishlist swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Beth There is still time to join but some people have already sent in their packages so there is a chance you may only get a few wishes fulfilled if that is ok with you I will still add you to the list. So far we have Paulan70 (List posted) Phantom_white (list Posted) Shanti having trouble posting to gardenweb. (List posted) riley17 (List posted) suecirish (list posted) countrycarolyn (List posted) Ishareflowers (list posted) tkhooper (List posted) leann2800 (list posted) gmom2-6boys poisondartfrog (List Posted) kamiljablo (List Posted) kmpsmom (List Posted) jodie74 (List Posted) debby_1 (List Posted) sassybutterfly_2008 (List Posted) spoonietreasure (List Posted) angelady (List Posted) canyonwind (List Posted) hibiscusfan (List Posted) molly_and_me (List Posted) snapdragon36 (List Posted) Lois (List Posted) Drippy (List Posted) bev2009 (list posted) clc70 (List Posted) pumpkingal (list posted) beth_b_kodiak (List Posted) Paula
    ...See More
  • comary
    15 years ago

Billie,
    I would like some pots. The 2, 3 & 5 gal. sound best without knowing what they look like. I do a lot of container gardening so if you have extras, I'm happy to take them! I never seem to have enough.

Mary

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Billie, are you talking about the black plastic nursery pots, or something more decorative?

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Bonnie - I am refering to the black nursery pots. I put an ad up on Craigslist to find some more pots to use and I had a guy e-mail me that he is shutting down his tree business and I can have all the pots I want. He figures he has 1/2 a semi load and is willing to give them away. I just need a general idea of what other people can use so I don't have 200 - 7 gallon pots left over.

Billie

15 years ago

WhatÂs wrong with having 200 seven gallon pots, Billie? You have a couple hundred acres to put them all on! ;-)

Were you able to get ahold of Catladysgarden to see if she wants some of the 1 gallon ones? If not, since you're busyÂto say the leastÂwould you like me to email her and get back to you?

For anybody around here who does veggie gardening in containers, the larger sizes of these pots will work really well. Just a heads up.

Skybird

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

No I have not tried yet. If you can that would be great. I am going to try to do this sometime later this week, hopefully Saturday moring at the latest. At least if I do it Saturday, I won't have to unload it and reload it.
    I plant to get some of the 7-gal to keep all the mints in. And one gal for tomato and pepper transplants next year.

Billie

15 years ago

Hi Billie,

I just emailed Karen to let her know about the pots. Told her to post here if she wants some.

Skybird

P.S. I seem to be having trouble with GW again today, so I may not be able to reply if something comes up. I hope this one will post!

• catladysgarden
    15 years ago

I can use one gallon black nursery pots. We go through hundreds of them every year. I'll take as many as you would care to bring to the swap.
    Karen

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

I've potted the things I hope to bring with me

-brunnera (I have some for you Nancy)
    - zauchneria (some for Nancy and Skybird)
    - rudbekia triloba (some for Azura if you want any)
    - coreopsis lanceolata (or some of these, azura?)
    - some california poppies - we'll see if they make it

the Dogwood in a pot has Billie's name on it, along with the trumpet vine and the pink rose

sweet woodruff - In case anyone might want some, especially if you have some dry shade areas needing some independent green

self-sowing nepeta (probably walker's low) - a couple tiny seedlings

HiAlt - I saw you were looking for lemon verbena way back and don't know if you foudn any. either way, i'm bringing a pot of something that smells like lemon and figure someone will help me identify what it is. I have one pot, and if it's verbena and you are still looking for some, it's all yours. i have a few others that volunteered this year

Does anyone have orange digitalis (see link below) or other spiking plants in purples or deep hot colors that does ok in clay? I'm hoping to add some spiking shapes to my garden.

Mary - I was finally able to take a look at the seedlings you offered (at least, I'm pretty sure you were the one with some of the seedlings below!), if you have any left, might it be possible to have 1 of each of ?

Black Cherry
    Koralik
    Isis Candy -
    Purple Calabash
    Snow White

Hoppity - do you still have any seedlings left from that incredible variety you listed way back? If so, my partner would love to look them up and figure out a few we'd like to plant.

Wow - this is an incredible gathering in the making!

Here is a link that might be useful: Digitalis at HCG

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yoda, as far as I know, no one else has mentioned bringing the Verbena, so if that is what it is, I'll take some. It is an annual here though, so if it overwintered outdoors, what you have may be something else like lemon balm? Take a look at the link below, and see if it looks like what you have.

Billie, you can please add me to the list for a few one gallon pots, and a couple of 2 gallons, if you have enough.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon verbena

15 years ago

Yoda, I donÂt know if this is at all something youÂd be interested in, but I have one tiny, tiny Crocosmia ÂLucifer that hasnÂt been claimed by anybody yet. Planting it now you should get a few flowers next year, and by the following year it should be starting to spread and be developing into a decent plant. Fair warningÂit IS small, and it looks dead right nowÂbut itÂs not!

The picture was the third year for mine, starting from one that was somewhat larger than the little one I haveÂand they ARE in clay, and starting to spread quite a bit. (A little piece of it got dug up with the mums I dug up, so I planted it to bring along!) Click to enlarge.

Skybird

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Ok, the count is done, I think. Here goes:
    Tomatoes Â
    Yellow Pear - 3
    Spanish Sun  2
    Super Sioux  1
    Cherokee Purple  1
    Yellow Plum  2
    Sausage -5
    Margaretta - 2

Peppers -
    Big Chili -4
    Anaheim  4
    King of the North  5

Eggplant - Cloud 9 -4

Lemon Thyme -2

This is what I have assigned:

Meteor - One each of the above tomatoes (already out of count) and 1 Anaheim pepper

Skybird - manure -3@5 gal and pots

irisgirl - I'm sorry but a mouse got into my laundry room and ate the leaves off my extra brassicas :-(

Lindy Loo - aloe

jclepine - I have a two extra african violets that I can share. I will probably have more in the fall too. Whenever I get to the dividing I needed to do.

on to the pot(s)

1-gal - Karen, Bonnie

2-gal - comary, Bonnie

3-gal - comary

5-gal- Lindy-loo, Skybird, comary

7-gal - Lindy-loo, Skybird

Anything I missed??

Billie

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Skybird - Thanks for the suggestion - I love crocosmia - I'll take it!

15 years ago

Billie, is your lemon thyme the creeping kind or the upright kind? Put me down for one of them, whichever kind it is!

And put me down for 3 or 4 of the 3-gallon pots. I donÂt think IÂve ever (knowingly) seen a 3-gallon pot, so maybe itÂs a size to donÂt have yet!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning that you're bringing the aloe for LindyLoo. I still had that on my list---one of my many lists that is!

Skybird

• Azura
    15 years ago

Hey guys,

I'm sorry but I'm just not sure I will be able to make it to the swap. I've had two family emergencies this last week and it is also finals week. My father in law was in a serious car accident last week and he is in the ICU and my grandmother broke her arm today. Even if I can make it, I just haven't had the time to pot up the plants I hoped to bring. :(

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Azura - hope all will be ok. My prayers are with them.

Skybird - the thyme is the upright. I bought it at Home Depot last week cuz I just could not resist. One of them is yours.

Billie

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Azura - here's to wishing you and your loved ones well with all that is going on.It's a lot. Sending prayers your way. Come without plants if you can make it!

15 years ago

Azura, donÂt worry at all about bringing plantsÂor food. If youÂre able to get away, come stop by for a couple hours to give yourself a break. IÂll bring the sedums and hen & chicks for your son along in hopes that youÂll be able to make it for a while at least.

If it turns out youÂre not able to come, maybe I could drop your stuff off at your houseÂwhether youÂre there or not. Are you anywhere near I25? IÂll be heading back north on I25 from Castle Rock.

I hope everything goes well with your father-in-law and your grandmotherÂand your finals, and I hope youÂre able to make it for a least a while.

Skybird

• jclepine
    15 years ago

Oh, my! Billie, I would love a start of your African Violet! I plan on putting it in the window by the bed. Thank you!!

And, I would ask for three of those 7 gallon pots but I would use more if you wound up with an over abundance!

I'm getting quite excited about this swap!

Oh, and the pots I have to spare are larger than four inches, more like six inches? If anyone needs some, let me know.

J.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Azura, I hope that you are able to make it to the swap, but only if it provides a welcome break for you, and not add to the stress of your situation right now. Just to repeat what Skybird and Yoda said, please don't feel pressured to bring anything, just your wonderful self! Judging from this thread, there will be PLENTY.

Bonnie

• hoppithaven
    15 years ago

Yoda - I should have extras of everything I listed. I have a chart with days to maturity and other characteristics, if you would like me to post or send it. (A couple that were planted later stayed in their small pots too long, so are not as happy as others  I think matina and stump.) Just let me know what you want and IÂll bring it, as long as itÂs healthy!

Azura  I hope your father-in-law and grandmother are okay, and good luck with finals week! Please do come as a break if you are up to it!

Skybird  thank you for sharing so many plants and wonderful info. I will dig up the irises Friday and bring them exactly as you described.

Bonnie - you said you might not need the black cherry after all, since yours sprouted. How about if I bring it anyway, and you can decide if you want to add it to your own?

Mary - thank you for bringing extra mints for me! I have a green grape tomato and a yummy pepper for you.

A question: some of the tomatoes are getting big, and one has a flower already. (I pinched off the flower.) Are they too big do you think?

WasnÂt someone looking for the white irises? I looked through the posts again, but didnÂt find it. My partner is sure the irises I am bringing are white, I thought they were a very pale lavender on the edges, then turn almost white. I will look for pics.

Does anyone want a small "walkerÂs low" catmint volunteer?

By the way, I am looking for Joe Pye Weed and groundcovers. I know itÂs late to mention it, but thought IÂd say something, since some people were debating what to bring.

Odd question: Does anyone know where I can get Espoma fertilizers? I thought I saw it at PhelanÂs, but when I went back for it, discovered they had not even heard of it. According to the Espoma website, it is not available in Colorado springs.

Any idea how many people might be at the swap? (Wondering how much food to make.)

15 years ago

ItÂs ok if your tomatoes are getting big and blooming already, Hoppity. Sometimes when you buy them at the garden centers, they already have fruit set on them. Are these the ones youÂre bringing to the swap? If so, the people who get them can pot them up to a larger pot if they canÂt put them outside yet. Just be sure to keep them wet/moist for the next few days till the swap. If theyÂre blooming inside they may not get pollinated, but blooming wonÂt affect the plant in any way. And to answer your "are they too big" question! NO! The people who get them are going to be delighted!

I canÂt help you with the Joe Pye Weed this year (possibly next year), but I do have extra sedum cuttings I took when I was collecting them for Azura and Bonnie. If youÂd like any of them, I have extras of, ÂAngelinaÂ, ÂTricolorÂ, ÂDragonÂs BloodÂ, album, and ÂHybridumÂ. There are pictures of them on BloomingAmaryllisÂs groundcover thread is you want to look at any of them. Let me know if youÂd like any/all earmarked. And I was able to get starts for 6 different kinds of hen & chicks for you.

For how many peopleÂlink below to the original swap thread. The list is near the bottom. But donÂt even try to bring enough for that many people! Just bring a "regular size"Âwhatever that isÂdish or quantity of whatever youÂre bringing. ThereÂs gonna be WAY plenty of food to go around. We werenÂt even really planning for a pot luck at last yearÂs Spring SwapÂand there was WAY plenty of food!

Gotta go,
    Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Swap - 2008

15 years ago

I just realized I got my Magnolias and my Amaryllis's mixed up! The ground cover thread I was referring to was SweetMagnoliaMe's, not Amaryllis's! Sorry 'bout that!

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Groundcover advice thread

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Let me jump in here, to remind everyone that the official SW Colo Plant Swaperuzza was last week.

15 years ago

Let me see! On September 8th of last year it seems to me SOMEBODY said this: "I, personally, won't believe any of this "swap" stuff until I see some pics."

Pictures, David, pictures!

Skybird

• hoppithaven
    15 years ago

Thanks skybird! If you really donÂt mind, I would love cuttings of ÂAngelinaÂ, ÂTricolorÂ, ÂDragonÂs BloodÂ, and album. (Basically, each of the groundcovers you listed except the slightly invasive one - ÂHybridum.Â) They are all so beautiful! I also appreciate that you made up instruction sheets for them. IÂd like to get everything I need for rooting before the swap - should I buy some sort of rooting hormone or anything?
    hoppity

15 years ago

The sedum cuttings are yours, Hoppity. ('Hybridum' is a well behaved one, album is the one that gets into every nook and cranny, so I'll leave that one out.) And you'll get one of the instruction sheets for rooting them at the swap too, and, no, with sedum you don't need anything at all except soil to stick them in---and it doesn't even need to be "good" soil, it can be plain old dirt! If you've never rooted anything before, sedums are a great way to start! They're fail proof!

See you Saturday,
    Skybird

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

A quick note re those 7 gallon pots. Think container growing, people. Eggplant works well, determinate tomatoes. Big advantage is the soil heats so much quicker, the fruit comes on at least a month earlier.

Thats why I absconded with all the big pots at the official SW Colo Plant Swaperuzza, held last week.

• dafygardennut
    15 years ago

Hoppity, I have some Joe Pye seedlings. There aren't many, but I'll put a few in a pot to send with Connie.

Yoda, I'll see if I can get out a clump of snow in summer for you.

Skybird, can you send me the info on rooting sedum cuttings? I have a dragon's blood and a couple of others that I want to put cuttings of into the new bed for continuity.

Charlene I have two lilac volunteers coming up - is there anything I need to do other than dig them up and plunk them in a pot?

Does anybody want Love Lies Bleeding? I have way more sprouts than I have space for. There are hunk-o-seedlings in a six pack I can send.

Thanks again Connie for offering to take things to the swap for me. It looks like it's going to be a little more than just the rudbeckia.

Jen

15 years ago

Dafy, with the lilacs, just dig them up and if possible keep a little bit of the soil on the roots (if not, oh well!) and wrap the roots in moist newspaper and stick them in a plastic bag thatÂs big enough to completely cover at least all of the newspaper to keep it from drying out. TheyÂll be easier to transport that way, and since thereÂs no way theyÂll have time to start to root out in a pot anyway, you donÂt really need to take the time to do that. As long as Charlene plants them within a couple days of getting them, they should be fine. When you go to dig them, youÂll probably need to find and cut the root thatÂs attaching them to the original plant! It theyÂre taller than a foot, cut them down to about a foot or a little less. ItÂll make it easier for them to get going when theyÂre replanted.

AndÂI got your address from your bio page and IÂll send the sedum rooting directions directly to your email address. Since this thread is getting so long, I donÂt want to add a bunch more to it. ItÂs already taking so long to load for me that IÂm REALLY glad the swap is only a couple more days away! IÂll email it in the next couple hours.

Gonna be BEAUTIFUL weather on Saturday, guys!

Sorry you wont be there, Dafy,
    Skybird

• conace55
    15 years ago

Hoppithaven, I recently bought some Espoma lime at my local Home Depot. I know they had several other varieties there as well, although I couldn't say exactly which ones.

Dafy - absolutely no problem at all. Glad to help.

Connie

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Is there a reliable way of getting down to this place on the bus? All I can offer is mint cuttings and pink sweet pea seeds if anyone wants them. (I won't be able to take much back on the bus, obviously.) I'm sure I could bring a dish to share, although I can't think of what, offhand.

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Hoppity - thanks for the follow-up. I talked with my partner and neither one of us know any of the huge variety of plants you have. Could I have:

1) One each of your 3 favorite kinds of medium or large (not cherry) tomatoes, that are sweet

2) one each of your 3 favorite peppers?

Billie - if you have any broccoli left, might I be able to get 1 or 2? and some kind of melon, if you end up bringing any?

Skybird, if I have extra 4" pots, I'll bring you some.
    Would you be able to bring a wee cutting of your white-flowering ice plant? It is gorgeous in those pics you posted on the groundcover thread.

Does anyone have a regular mint plant that I could get a starter cutting from? I think I'd like to start with that before (yum!) launching into the incredibly tantalizing-sounding exotics you guys are all discussing!

We're only a few days away - it's starting to get exciting!!

• singcharlene
    15 years ago

Wow- You guys are crazy!!!! In a good way :)

Can't wait til Saturday. With all we've had going on... garden is a mess and I'm a bit embarrassed to have a bunch gardeners come over to see my nongarden (but I'm secretly hoping some of you may have suggestions for some of the empty beds).

There were 28 rsvps and some or most will probably bring someone so I will make a salad and have lunchware for at least 50 people (I'm using holiday & birthday leftovers so you might be eating on some Halloween,Thanksgiving or birthday napkins!).

I do have several kinds of mint that anyone's welcome to take a cutting from.

I noticed that Skybird recommended that everyone label their plants. This is a big plus and can be done with paper, popsicle sticks, writing in marker on the container, etc.

Also, I just found out that my next door neighbor is having a little party at the exact same time of the swap at 1pm. So you may want to pull your car all the way up into our drive and unload your stuff then move your car to the street. We are on a few acres and have a very long drive that can fit quite a few cars and so some can park there, but if you have to leave early then you may want to park on the street so you aren't blocked in.

Please let me know if anyone has questions, thoughts, or comments.

See you Saturday!!

Charlene

15 years ago

Yoda, I can use any pots that are 4" or smallerÂand thanks if youÂre able to bring any. With the ÂWhite NuggetÂ....... I just went out and looked and I was able to get 4 small cuttings for you that look like theyÂre not forming buds yet, but since itÂs budding and starting to bloom, and since flowering stems donÂt root, thatÂs all I can get right now. If these donÂt take for you I may be able to bring a small rooted piece to the Fall Swap. This is the most slowly spreading one I have, and IÂm trying to get it going enough so that I will be able to bring some along for other people. I have a small plant I rooted for myself last fall that I plan to put in, in a different place in hopes itÂll spread more quickly if the soil conditions are different, so hopefully IÂll have more by next year to bring for anyone who wants it. In the meantime IÂll bring these few cuttings and you can give it a try.

AndÂthereÂs really not anything different between the different mints except how they smell, so if no one has extras at the swap, one of the pineapple mints IÂm bringing is tall enough that we can snip a couple stems off and you can take them home to root them. DO YOU KNOW that all mints are EASILY as invasive as the Mexican Evening Primroses if you plant them in the ground? Consider yourself warned! I think most of the people around here that donÂt have LARGE lots or acreageÂs are putting them in pots. WELL, I just refreshed the thread and see that Charlene is back in townÂand has mint for you, so IÂll let you go for thatÂbut heed the warning when deciding where to plant it! You might want to bring some small plastic bags along to stick the cuttings in since mint cuttings will dry out fairly quickly if exposed to the air.

Welcome back to town, Charlene! IÂll pick one of the Thanksgiving napkinsÂin thanks for the swap! OrÂmaybe a birthday oneÂin honor of our first Swap Birthday! IÂm going to bring a sign-in sheet along, and I have numbers we can use for the "first round" plant pick! And IÂm not sure if I have enough left, but IÂm gonna see if I can pick up some more name tags when IÂm out tomorrow.

And IÂm going to repeat one more time: PLEASE LABEL YOUR PLANTS somehow. Anything so the person getting the plant knows what it is, or, especially with all the veggies, what variety it is. It doesnÂt need to be anything expensive or long-lastingÂjust enough so people know what they have when they get home. IÂm going to bring a couple china markers for any last minute labeling.

See you all Saturday,
    Skybird

• hoppithaven
    15 years ago

Thank you dafy and skybird for the starts!

Connie, thanks for the info - I will check home depot tomorrow!

Yoda - I'm afraid I don't have favorites yet - this is my first year really growing any of them! I chose the varieties based on recommendations on the tomato forum. I will go through and see which seem to be considered sweet, but maybe others here can help with choosing. As for the peppers - first time for all of those too - I chose them strictly by what sounded fun in the catalogs where I ordered tomato seeds. 3 are sweet, one is hot, so that limits it. Do you want to try the hot pepper, or just the sweet ones? I'll bring the sheet with all of the descriptions, so that might help as well. So, everyone - feel free to offer suggestions!

How fun- see everyone saturday!

• aliceg8
    15 years ago

Ok, I hate to be such a waffler, but I really can't make it now. A very kind person has volunteered to help me prep Camber for her evaluation on Sunday morning and the only time she can do it is Saturday at 1pm. And on top of that I found out that an important club meeting that I need to attend has been moved up from the last Sunday of the month to the afternoon of the 18th. So I'll be away from home all day Sunday and the only time I'll have for working in the yard this week is Saturday afternoon.

And if you all could see my yard you'd understand why it's so imperative that I get out there. I've been gone since last Thursday... meanwhile the lawn is a sea of butter - dandelions; weeds are cropping up all over in the lasagne bed (arrrgh!); other beds have bindweed sprouting again; I received 4 plants from High Country Gardens while I was gone; I shipped a rose start from my mom's house to me last week; I have dahlias tubers and glad bulbs to plant; lettuce to thin, the rest of my veggie seeds to start planting; and oh yeah, 4 flats of seedlings that are waiting to be planted. I could go on, but it's too depressing - I may even have to mow the lawn myself since Steve will be gone most of the weekend (we haven't mowed at all yet this spring!!!).

So I'm a little discouraged about all the work that's piling up, and really bummed to say no to seeing all you guys. But I think my sanity demands I stay home.

But I was thinking... for those of you who thought you might like some of my stuff, I can always try putting them in a padded envelope inside a baggie with some stuffing around them and mail them to you. Can't hurt to try. And I really did want to share some of my babies with everyone this year. So email me at aliceann8@hotmail.com with your address and wishlist. I guess it's better than nothing.

Have a great time everyone. Be sure someone takes photos.

Alice

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

Guess not.

15 years ago

Most likely nobody knows if there are any buses that go down there, Lilacs. I certainly donÂt. But if you use RTD, you must know about their website where you can look up how to get from one place to another. I had to use that once many, many years ago. YouÂd need to get to and from Exit 187 on I25.

IÂm sorry to hear youÂve changed your mind, Alice, but it sounds like you have way more than you can get done anyway, and, if sanity demands itÂbetter off that you stay sane so you can come to the Fall SwapÂand weÂll send another car full of stuff home with you for Habitat!

Hey, itÂs dogs and gardening! How depressing can THAT be! Stop every now and then to smell the rosesÂor whatever happens to be blooming!

Skybird

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Charlene - welcome back! it'll be great to be at your house, regardless of the state of your garden (always easier to say that about someone else's than my own!!!)...thank you so very much for hosting this...and it'll be a delight just to see what you and others are doing with their yards, regardless of the state of affairs. (you should see my back yard compared to the front! it's the next big project);

Charlene, I don't know if you counted me as an RSVP since I didn't officially repeat that in the past week or so. I am planning on it (with swaps all in the making already!) but will need to assess my energy levels Sat morning. I'll email you only if I can't make it. I"m doing better than the past 2 weeks, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Skybird - yes, 4" size or less!; thanks so much for finding a few pieces of white (nugget, was it called?) for me! and I've been reading about the mint on the list...pots or a dry corner where everything has a hard time growing...and it can survive without invading anything.

Hoppity- ok, bring the experiments you feel like and we can get some input or just try things and compare notes in the fall!

this thread is getting onerous when loading on my browser, It seems to be time for the swap to happen!

• singcharlene
    15 years ago

Lilacs, I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the bus system. If you find a way, you are more than welcome and please don't feel like you have to lug a dish of food onto the bus. I'm sure there will be plenty of food knowing how gardeners are!

Alice I'm sorry you won't be here :(

Skybird, thanks for being more organized than me.

Yoda, thank you:)

As far as rsvp's at this point, I'm not too worried about the exact number, so no worries. We just wanted a ball park number to guestimate about how many people.

This is a big thread!

Charlene

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Charlene - don't worry about the garden, truth be told, I have not gotten to do anything out side this week. The wind has been just awful here. 30-40 sustained is not my idea of a good time.

Yoda - on that note, sorry to disappoint, but I did not start my melons until this week cuz looking at the weather we have been having, I don't think I will be able to plant them out until, if I am lucky, the first week of June. I can bring you some seeds or a start, but they don't have true leaves yet. What type of melon were you looking for? Honeydew, muskmelon, watermelon, Canary? Also, I though I posted it earlier, but most of my broccoli was the victim of a mouse that got into the laundry room. He ate the tops off all my plants. So I get to start over. That just means a fall harvest instead of spring.

Hope to see all of you before I have to leave.

Billie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yoda, I don't know if your interested in these, but I am bringing some small 'Early Purple Sprouting' Broccoli starts.

Also, if anyone is interested, I just planted a Physocarpus opulifolius 'Coppertina' to replace the one that was there, because I thought it was dead. My other one leafed out a month ago. Of course, when I went to dig it up, I noticed a few tiny leaves starting to poke out. It's very small, but definitely still alive. The one I planted today is much bigger, which will make DH happy. He still doesn't believe me when I tell him these will eventually get 8' - 10' tall. He wants instant landscaping. Anyway, let me know if I should bring this along tomorrow.

Oh, BTW, there's cookies in the oven : )

Bonnie

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

Hi all,

The chances of my being able to make it are feeling slim at the moment. After all that swapping and energy and sharing from all of you too! What a bummer.

I'm suddenly, at this very late moment, wondering if there is anyone in the Northern area that would be able to bring my plants down to the swap (I'm in Boulder, in the Gunbarrel area)? I guess I should have thought of this earlier.
    I could drive to Boulder, or out to I25 or 36 etc to bring them to you, depending on where you're coming from.... I have 5 flats worth of plants and about 6 large pots...I could also pare those numbers down and leave just the designated ones if room is tight.

Billie - re broccoli - you're right, i did see that post re the mouse and broccoli interaction a ways back and forgot; no worries, and no worries about the melon!

and high alt - thanks so much for the offer

I guess, if by some chance a ride for plants is possible and there's the possibility of making it work, that a swap could actually take place with some plants making their way back up here... or, hopefully I can make it in the fall. For now, someone else will get to give these lovelies a new home :-).

I apologize for getting you all so involved with the items I would love to find a new home for and those I'd love to have! Apologies to you in particular, Skybird - since you've volunteered so many things and got me started on all this, beginning with those fabulous anemones.

Although I must say it's been such a joy!...and who knows, maybe we can make it work yet, even at this late hour. What a delight to have found this (very busy forum and all of you guys!)

• singcharlene
    15 years ago

I would love some broccoli starts, Highalt. If it's not too much trouble I looked up the Coppertina plant and that looks very interesting and might go well next to our house?

I helped my aunt in Denver move all day today so I'll have to dig up my stuff tomorrow but I have some onions, chives, mint, iris (I have no idea what kind or color) and whatever else I can find tomorrow morning :) We mowed yesterday and I purposely didn't mow all of our property because there are some interesting native wildflowers/plants coming up right now that you all might like to check out including the Indian Paintbrush plant that Skybird loves.

Also, I have a plant that is so cool but I don't know the name of it. It looks like it may be related to a sedum ('donkey' something or other?) and it's growing all over our property in the most dry rocky places and right now it has some yellow leaves that are really beautiful. Someone might want to take some cuttings from it too.

My neighbor is coming and bringing raspberry plants (I think she said 6), strawberry plants and rhubarb (I'm not sure if it's just leaves or actual plant).

Tomorrow it's garden geeks at our best in plant mania!

Charlene

15 years ago

Charlene, I sure didnÂt notice it when I was looking around last year, but, from your description, IÂm guessing the plant you have "growing all over your property" is Donkey Tail Spurge. If IÂm right, no cuttings allowed! ItÂs on the Colorado Noxious Weed A List! Sorry Âbout that! Maybe IÂm wrong. Check out the CSU Extension Service link below.

Gotta go! IÂm TRYING to get everything labeled and ready for the swap. This might be a late nite!
    Skybird

P.S. Yoda, I bringing all your stuff along and hope youÂll decide in the morning that you can make it after all. If not, we can try again in fall. Since the anemones are spreading a lot now, I can always dig up a few more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia myrsinites

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whew! Hectic day! I don't know if anyone will check this thread again before tomorrow, but Charlene I will put your name on the 'Coppertina'. I love them, and have one near the corner of the house in the main bed, and another in an island bed created around it as the focal point. Just to let you know though, this shrub is not a xeric and will require watering occasionally. (totally worth it in my opinion)

See ya'll tomorrow!

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

I'm so depressed. The guy that had all the pots has not called me back so I could pick them up. Sorry guys. He has had a problem delivering his plants because of the temperatures, so he has been too busy. I called him last night and got no answer, so I guess it is a no go. I have everything else put together and I am just waiting for the go time. I thought maybe if he gets ahold of me in the next few weeks, I could use it as a reason to go to catladys open house and deliver the pots there. I will post when I get them.

Billie

• yoda_chan
    15 years ago

After all that craziness of mine yesterday - I'm a coming!
    Yippeee!