SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarcazm_gw

mite problems... still. please help!

sarcazm
13 years ago

i now have three pots of my pepper plants (14/55 current survivors) in quarantine with mites. i used my jeweler's loupe because i thought that it was odd that these 2-spotted spider mites were nowhere near the actual plants, just on the soil. and i noticed that they don't really have the spots, it's more like, well, dirt or something on only a few of them.

the quarantined pots all share the same look to them. the dirt in the soil is mostly gone, the plants are obviously suffering with curling leaves, mottled spots and yellowing, with bronzing and what-not, and the mites leave only what looks like a wooden mulch behind. when i tried to catch a bunch for further inspection with my loupe, they dig into the wooden bits, which is where i assume they hide and lay eggs and such. no webbing whatsoever, no eggs, and not a single bug or egg or anything on the plants themselves. the roots though, when i sterilize to re-pot, are obviously damaged. these little buggers are a translucent white, and about 0.5mm long at best.

so far i've done tobacco juice, tobacco leaves sprinkled on the soil, 1:1 alcohol/h2o spritzes, NEEM, 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water sterilizations for the plants, while using the same concentrations for the pots only doing those in hot water (and then of course doing a full rinse in plain water as well), sterilizing my soil in the microwave in batches ever since i got the batch that was infested with these critters to begin with (NEVER BUY MIRACLE GRO ORGANIC POTTING SOIL!) and nothing, i mean NOTHING, seems to make these buggers FULLY disappear.

every time i think they're gone for good, finally, they come back and start spreading again like plague. we bought some diatomaceous earth for an ant problem we have, but i'm not sure if that would help.

please guys, oh please oh please, please help us, and our chili babies!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21