SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doubleij

anuum/chinense nutrient deficiencies and mite problems (I think!)

doubleij
15 years ago

I'm growing some peppers in Indonesia. I received some seeds from the US a few weeks ago and they've sprouted nicely. I think, however, I have some nutrient and pest problems. Any advice would be helpful. I will be heading back to the US in a couple weeks and can pick up some nutrients and pesticides if there are some good recommendations. Fertilizers here tend to run 20-20-20 or worse, so I don't even touch them. They don't label what's in the pesticides either! :)

First, the garden layout. I'm growing mostly peppers and a few tomatoes in 6 square yards of space in my driveway underneath a transparent plastic roof with open net sides (keeps air circulation but protects from torrential rains). I'm growing sweet and hot pepper varieties, and both anuum and chinense. I am getting a drip irrigation system set up, but it's not quite in place yet. Before I was watering the soil via pop bottles submerged in the pots with pin holes (to avoid flooding on the surface and discourage weed growth). My soil seems quite good. Friable, well-draining, moist, etc. I have added compost to most plants and I have spread less than a handful of goat poop around some of the larger plants. They're about 4-6 weeks old now. The peppers get strong morning sun, although some in the back row seem to lag a little in development, so they might appreciate a bit more sun.

Now, the problems:

1. My leaves are green, but some of them are curling over downward (overwatering perhaps?). In some cases, they curl almost all the way around themselves to form a loop with the tip pointing toward the stem. Some leaves of affected plants are this way and some leaves on the same plant will be fine, although after the problem appears, the new leaves are all somewhat curly. I've been extra careful in watering since observing these symptoms a week or so ago but no improvement. The plants continue to produce new leaves and the old leaves are not dying, but the problem still looks worrying.

2. Other plants have the opposite problem, the leaves look dry and are curled upward at the edges (but they're not scorching and they have plenty of water). The veins seem extra thick and bunched, dividing the leaf into sections almost. These leaves often have some red, rust-looking coloring in patches, although this might be a separate problem.

3. Several of the plants have white dots appearing (like little periods) on the leaves. Perhaps a mite problem? I've been spraying some with detergent/water solution. The problem doesn't seem to be getting worse quickly but isn't getting better either.

4. I've seen a couple of aphids in the garden, but I've sprayed with detergent/water and they seem to have left for the moment. I think I can keep the aphids under control, but I note their presence in case its useful for diagnosis.

When I go to the states in a week or so, I plan to get epsom salts (unavailable here) for magnesium. Should I look for micronutrients as an additive? Is there a good plant food that works for peppers? Anything I can use against the mites?

Sorry this post is so long, but I figure that more details save questions later.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County