SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Tomatoes 2011

highalttransplant
13 years ago

It's time to wintersow the tomatoes, and sadly, I don't have a clue what to grow this year, but I thought if I started this thread, all of the tomatoheads would post their lists, and I could get some ideas.

The problem is too many choices! I had over 100 varieties to choose from, and then I participated in Deb's tomato seed swap, and now it's closer to 150!!! How in the world am I supposed to narrow that down to just a few?

And I hate to admit it, but after last year, I'm becoming more of a pepperhead than a tomatohead. I learned that extra pepper plants can be stuck in the nearest empty pot, or even in the flower beds. Extra tomato plants ... not so easy to find a place for in a small garden. Also, the tomatoes were a bit pickier about location. No matter how close I crammed the pepper plants, they remained healthy, and all produced well. The tomato plants don't like being too close, and tend to block one another's sunlight, so the ones in the middle become very disgruntled! So in order to keep them all happy, I'm going to have to space them out more, which means a maximum of 7 plants here at the house, and 6 - 8 plants at the community garden, assuming that I'm able to get a plot this year.

Feeling overwhelmed with choices ...

Comments (22)