SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Lessons learned this year!

honeybunny2 Fox
10 years ago

First I found out I cannot root cuttings in water bottles with gritty mix after the middle of May. To root cuttings later I just stick them in the soil, next to a mature plumeria plant. For some reason it works.

Second I found out that instead of keeping newly purchased plants in pots, I need to plant them directly in the soil, in full sun. I just bought a small Raspberry Sundae for Tally at the PSA sale in July. She could not come to the sale, so I took it home and planted it in the soil. This Saturday I dug it up, so I could give it to her at our plant swap Oct 12th. You would not believe how the roots on this plant have grown, as well as the height of the plant. There was no way I was getting that plant back into a 1 gallon pot. I think its a 2 1/2 gallon pot. . Next year, all my new plants are going into the ground. They grow twice as fast in the soil. I can move them to pots before I store for the winter.

Growing plumeria is a learning experience. What works for me may not work for someone in a different zone. I am zone 9 coastal.

Last year I learned an expensive lesson, not to plant newly rooted plants from cutting in full sun, they need to go in dapple sun. Barbra

Comments (10)