SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Anemone coronaria - de Caen

Hi all,

Well I wound up in the Jumping Plant department at the food store today, and since the plants (roots/bulbs) were only $2.99 a box, I let them jump!

IÂve never grown anemones before, but at 15 for $2.99, I decided to give it a try. And the picture on the box is sure pretty! ;-) The problem is, I donÂt know ANYTHING at all about them! So I came home and started to research online! Absolutely NO help! IÂm finding unbelievable contradictions! IÂm gonna plant them anyway, of course, but IÂm wondering if anybody else around here has ever grown them, and what your experiences were.

Online IÂm finding places that say theyÂre hardy from z5 to z8, and places that say theyÂre only hardy in z8 and z9! HowÂs that for decisive information! IÂm also finding places that say they need to be in full sunÂand places that say they need to be in full shade! Alright!!! IÂll plant them in ????? Since the other "bulb type" anemones IÂm familiar with need shade, IÂm inclined to go with shade! Wherever I plant them, I think IÂll probably put them in mostly compost to ensure a good, rich, and well-drained soil. I found a couple places online that say to soak them for a while before planting, and I found one place that said they wouldnÂt come up for TWO YEARS! DonÂt believe that one at all! The box they come in, of course, has no useful information whatsoever! Well! It DOES say to water them after I plant them!!! :-)

SoÂany experience around here?

Skybird

P.S. A ÂBlue Angel Hosta jumped into my cart too! Now doesnÂt ÂBlue Angel just sound like the cutest LITTLE Hosta you ever heard of? The box, needless to say, has NO info about the height! Got home and looked it upÂand itÂs HUGE, with leaves 18" long by 12" wide!" Well, thatÂll fill up my whole backyard nicely! Decided IÂm gonna plant is at the top (far end) of my escape proof garden where itÂll make a nice backdrop for the sweet violets, lily-of-the-valley, and sweet woodruff. (Got a box with 5 more lily-of-the-valley pips tooÂsince the couple I brought over here from the last house just havenÂt spread that much yet in their wonderful clay home!)

Comments (2)