SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

anyone growing P. pudica?

irun5k
13 years ago

Anyone here growing Plumeria Pudica? I couldn't resist buying one this weekend after seeing several nice specimens (mislabeled, of course) at the back of my local Lowe's garden center. I wanted to include a link to a mature tree at another web site, but I apparently this post is considered spam if I add the link.

For now I'm treating it just like any other plumeria since I don't have any info that says otherwise- so, well draining soil, limited watering, protection against freezes, etc. I'm going to enjoy it in a pot until it goes dormant and then put it in the ground early next spring. If anyone here is growing one I'd be interested to hear your experiences.

Unfortunately, the flowers are scentless. However, they are very abundant and should certainly satisfy all my desires for lots of flowers- for cutting, leis, or just enjoying. And what a stunning landscaping component, when compared against the traditional choices for a tree of this size and shape!

I have read bits and pieces about hybridization and crossing this with other plumeria species to introduce color and scent. It will be awesome if those efforts are fully successful, since color and scent are the two main reasons most people grow plumeria!

{{gwi:1217203}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!