SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emagineer

Alternative lawn and mulch path suggestions

emagineer
17 years ago

My old backyard is a tough call regarding lawn. Plus two dogs. Worked really hard last year to bring it back and was looking great. But after the winter I can see the dog path and about 3/4 of the lawn looks like it is worth caring for. I also over seeded with clover last year. This has survived really well (especially with the dogs) and about an inch up right now. It always looked great through the summer even after mowing.

Yesterday I picked up more clover seeds, but what I'd like to do is fill in more with something different. Not buffalo grass, it doesn't handle traffic well. A full grass lawn isn't my priority. Know some people need play areas, etc. By the time my home would ever be sold, I'm here for the long road, a new lawn would need to be put in anyway.

Any suggestions for alternative lawn seedings? Flowering if possible...like English daiseys, etc. And what worked well? I hesitate with the packaged products offered as they also include weed seeds.

The other question is about mulch. Now that I can see the path my dogs take, they actually created a nice meandering path. Am going to make this theirs and need mulch for the mud factor. Experience in past is mulch gets all over the place. I have so much to do in this old yard (big) that putting in landscape boards is far to big of a job for me. I know if I use rocks they won't walk the route, so it needs to be mulch of some sort. Will digging down a bit lower than grass maintain the a cleaner path? Any suggestions for decent mulch?

Comments (14)