SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevation

I got a greenhouse -- now what?

stevation
16 years ago

Hey guys, my wife surprised me recently and made a deal with a neighbor who wanted to sell this greenhouse he had made some years ago. He used to be in the glass business, and this thing is really solid, with welded aluminum framing and real glass all around (frosted on the sides). It's not real big -- only about 4'x8', but it's sufficient for the amount of new plants I'll typically grow in a year.

I've never used a greenhouse, so I have some questions. I know it will need ventilation or it will get too hot. It has a louver vent down low and an exhaust fan up high, but the fan doesn't have a power cord, and I'm not sure how to hook it up to power. But the bigger question is, aren't there solar fans I could use that wouldn't require a power hookup? Any recommendations on one I should look at?

I saw something online about a heat-activated device that can open the louvers without any power. It moves by expanding wax pushing something inside when it gets hot. Do those work well?

Will I need to heat it at night at this time of year if I have annuals growing in it? I suppose it will get just as cold as the outside temp after a few hours, won't it? I have an old "catalytic" heater I could use, but it will run through a lot of propane, I'd think. Any thoughts on how much heat is needed and the best way to do it? If I placed a bunch of milk jugs of water inside on the floor, would they absorb enough heat during the day to radiate out at night and keep tender plants from freezing?

Should this replace my winter-sowing containers? Should I move those jugs into the greenhouse and remove the tops, at least for those plants that like a warm temp for germination?

Comments (14)