SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxcher

Heat mat drying out soil?

pdxcher
10 years ago

I have my seedlings on a heat mat and under a T5 light. The heat mat is set at 80, but according to the thermometer inside the soil, it usually gets to about 77.

I noticed that the soil is dry to the touch within a few hours of me misting it. Also, when I mist it, it only gets wet about 1/4" into the soil.

I spray them at 7am. I check on them at 2pm and it's dried out, so I give it more water. By the time 7pm comes around, bone dry again. Therefore, I'm misting it at 7am, 2pm, 7pm, and 11pm. It dries out completely in between.

Please help. I'm having a really hard time maintaining a good moist, but not wet, environment for my seedlings. Would you say the heat mat is set too high? Keep misting as often as I have been? Bone dry soil is okay?

I have read so many threads, but no one really talks about how to keep seedlings from drying out or being too wet. Everyone just says, "keep them moist, but not wet". I get that, but what if my seedlings are either drying out, or staying too wet? Ugh.

I honestly didn't think it was going to be this difficult to maintain a happy environment for them.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths