SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

First Aleppo Usage

Phildeez
12 years ago

I finally got a couple ripe Aleppo pods (AKA Halaby). It is a major ingredient in a lot of hot Mediterranean dishes and I was very happy with the flavor. They are very sweet with a good amount of heat, similar to de Arbol or hot Thai peppers but much sweeter with very thick walls and a lot bigger pods. The walls are so thick that I am nervous to try and dry them without a dehydrator, but I really want some homemade Aleppo powder.

SO, thinking Greek, like I am, I went out to the garden and picked a bunch of mint, basil, and oregano. Threw them in the processor with the two Aleppo pods (deseeded), 3 cloves of homegrown garlic, and a handful of spinach. Added a couple splashes of red wine vinegar, juice of half a lemon, and EVOO and processed. It tasted amazing right out of the processor but it got better with a day or two, although it won't keep more than a week or so. I have been putting it on everything, I wish I had a name for it, call it Greek Chimichurri. The best so far was Mediterranean Pizza with roasted/skinned Hungarians and Big Jims and the chimichurri on top.

I am on a roll, I made a fantastic roasted mango hab/serrano sauce also, going to have to find some people to eat this stuff!

Phil

Comments (14)

Sponsored