SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Rocky Mountain Gardening in Winter!

Hi all,

I had a wonderful day today! I spent 3 hours out in the yard cutting down perennials and cleaning up the beds. It was 65 on the warmer/perennial side of the yard, and 55 right against the north side of the house. Its supposed to be even warmer for the next few days and I hope to get a whole bunch more done before it gets cold again. Virtually everything needs to be cut down this year. Even my Switch grass, Panicum, blew over in the WIND we had a couple weeks ago, so thereÂs not gonna be anything tall left in my perennial bed when I finish cleaning it up.

But I did discover something when I started cutting the mums downÂwhich were tall, because I never got around to pinching them this year. In the past IÂve gotten things cut down much sooner when they were still partly green. Since I learned the hard way that if you throw all that kind of stuff on the compost pile whole, it takes a LONG time to decompose, in the last couple years IÂve been cutting it down and then sitting there slowly cutting all the dead stems up into short pieces before putting them on the compost pile. This year, since the dead stems had all been exposed to the weather and drying winds for a couple months they were so dry that I could just break them off and into short pieces. No more sitting for a couple hours with a scissors cutting everything up! From now on I wonÂt be cutting the tall perennials down until theyÂre dry enough to easily break them up! I checked and it looks like the Russian sage, Agastache, and the other tall things are also dry enough to just break them up when I do them in the next few days. Last year it took FOREVER to cut it all up, and my hand was so sore I considered throwing it all in the dumpster instead of on the compost pile this yearÂbut that would be a real waste! Problem solved!

Oh, and by the way, I have my first plant for the Spring Swap! When I was cutting one of the mums down today I pulled out some of the side shoots, expecting to throw them awayÂbut they had roots on them so I put them all together and stuck them in a pot! IÂm gonna have a bunch more mums for the swap again this year. I hope to get them all dug up and divided, and I plan to put in "new" plants for myself and pot the rest for the swap.

AlsoÂsince I carried all my neighborÂs bags of leaves over here, IÂve made another very useful discovery! When I brought them over, I threw a bunch of them on top of the bare soil where the tomatoes had been. Slowly I was "stomping" them in the bags (like stomping grapes for wine!!!), and then dumping the crushed leaves on the compost pile (I can hardly believe how fast the pileÂs "going down" this year now that IÂm crushing the leaves first!) AnywayÂwhen I got down to the bags that were laying directly on top of the soil, I discovered that there were masses of worms living right near the surface of the soil under the bagsÂprotected from the cold by the "leaf insulation!" I continued crushing the leaves, leaving only a couple bags laying on the soilÂI kind of assumed that when it got colder out the worms would "go dormant" anywayÂbut last week, when I picked up one of the last two bags, the soil under the bag was still an absolute maze of active worms. So IÂve added a couple other bags I had stored somewhere else, and IÂve decided IÂm going to leave the last few bags laying on top of the soil, rather than putting them on the compost pile! By slowly moving them around in the garden, IÂll have worms producing "fertilizer" in the soil all winter! And, hopefully, reproducing all winter!

LetÂs see! What else?

Oh, yeah! My crocus are coming up! TheyÂre Snow Crocus, C. chrysanthus, and I actually noticed the first one coming up way back in November sometimeÂbefore we had even had any cold weather at all. When I first saw it, I thought, oh no, if they come up and bud too early they might freeze and never actually bloom. Then we got cold weather and I figured at least most of them would be ok. Now, today I noticed that most of them are up, up to an inch high. I donÂt see any signs of buds, so I guess theyÂll be ok. ItÂs just that this is the first "full year" IÂve had them, so IÂm really not sure what to expect. They were planted fall of Â07, so last spring they came up pretty late and bloomed almost as soon as they came up. So maybe itÂs normal for them to start growing in late fall!

And my Dutch iris started coming up sometime in October (they were also planted fall Â07). I wondered if theyÂd be evergreen all winter, but now the foliage that came up in fall is brown. The very bottom of the foliage is still green. Does anybody else have any Dutch iris, and, if so, is this what they normally do? I never dealt with the bulbs when I was selling perennials, so IÂm learning it as I go!

I know a lot of you are still under snow, and, hopefully, at some point this winter yet, I will be too, but has anybody else been out doing anything in the gardenÂbesides shoveling snow!

Dreaming of spring,

Skybird

Comments (26)