SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goatlike

Bells and Hots, some goods some nots.

goatlike
16 years ago

Hey there! We're trying our first in ground bell and hot peppers this year. The Bells are the Burpee Carnival Mix, the Hots are the Burpee Hot Mixture. We started the seeds in March, in a window that didn't give them enough light, so they started off weak and spindley. We transplanted 16 Bells and 12 Hots in mid-june... a little late, I know. It's our first time.

Some are gone, some are weak, and some look fantastic! The weak are about half the size of the strong and have yellowish, brittle feeling leaves. They're still growing, but not well. The strong are a nice green, budding and flowering like mad. Yay! I hope they produce before our season ends. According to my math, it's gonna be tight.

There seems to be a pattern among the strong and weak. The weak are on the perimeter of the pepper bed, where I've weeded poorly. The strong are in the center of the bed, where I've been much more vigilant. I blame laziness, and the fact that the perimiter is tough to deal with. All the plants are about 18" from each other. I don't have a good photo yet, nor a place to host one, but when I do I'll post a few.

But the question... can nearby weeds really make that much difference? The bed is slightly sloped, and the water settles more in some areas than others, but the weak all look like they're having the same problem, and the slope and water gathering don't seem follow the same pattern.

My amateur diagnosis is that maybe the weeds are eating up all the available nutrients? They're no more than about 6" from the weak plants. It's very sandy and dry soil, so I really havn't been expecting much more than lessons learned this year.

Oh! p.s. If I have Bell specific questions, do they go in the Veggie Forum or here? Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm