SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pondplant_kid

Plumeria cutting rot please help ASAP

9 years ago

I planted my plumeria cuttings well over 3 days ago and one had fallen over due to storm winds from a hurricane down south, and I checked the bottom to find that the callous was kinda gooey and peeled off. Is this normal? The stock is still firm? Will it rot then grow roots? I've seen a few cuttings with the bottom rotted and the roots growing above the bottom. Should I plant them higher up? I planted them around 8 inches deep to keep them from moving. They are very thick mature branches and I was wondering if that was the problem. They are around 4 inch thick. The soil is moist but not wet. And I picked at the core and found brown/ rot (only picked at one). What am I doing wrong? Should they be small and skinny? I really want these to grow. It's a pink variety and one of the sweetest smelling ones too. Maybe as much as a celadine. I've only gotten one cutting to grow, which I didn't take myself. I've never gotten a cutting to grow that was made be me or some of my friends. I've tried over 30 cuttings and only have had maybe 2 grow. I've been trying for 3 years. I'm almost wanting to quit the hobby to be honest. I've lost so many plants and cuttings you can't even imagine. I'm only 13 and this hobby has literally sucked up all of my money. Every penny I get goes towards plumerias. In all I've maybe lost 200 + dollars in plants. Maybe 100 dollars worth are still living (at least I think). I've done HOURS and HOURS of research and have asked questions and only seem to find vague answers... I ask questions and the most replies I seem to get on this forum is maybe 3 or 4, and usually made by "novices". Saying things like, "I'm not really sure but hopefully someone more knowledgable will answer" and no one does. My parents do not allow me to have any more plumeria because they say I have "too many". I have too many urooted rotting cuttings. Which they see as plants. They consider all my cuttings as plants. They are not plants until they grow. I have maybe 4 or 5 actual rooted plants. And I have maybe 20 or 30 cuttings in the process of rooting. Those other 30 cuttings I've tried are dead. These are new cuttings. Im completely dumbfounded when people say they grow them easily. I usually have a green thumb and can get anything to grow. I have jade, cacti, lucky bamboo, citrus, apple trees, cherry trees, bonsai, and can't get plumerias to grow. what am I doing wrong? I'm tired of throwing away money and time and getting wayyy to frustrated over them. Kinda venting here but I have no one to really talk to about this. My parents don't want to hear it,they have yet to spend any money on my hobbies.

Josh

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County