SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_n_ga_mts

exhibitors garden

ken-n.ga.mts
11 years ago

It's been a LONG time since I've posted anything on this form. I get the feeling most folks don't want anything to do with exhibiting roses or the people that do exhibit (???). Well I've got nothing to be sorry about. I got into exhibiting so I could learn "how do they get roses to look like that??" Within a few years my garden went from "OK" to "pretty darn good looking". I had a little different outlook about my roses then a lot of your hard core exhibitors. I wanted a bush under my rose. Not 2 or 3 sticks with a rose on top of them. It was also when I started to exhibit that I learned there were more roses out there besides HT's. My garden expanded. The biggest thing I learned about exhibiting was, pay attention to detail. Not just at a show but from the first day the rose was planted. Now this came easy for me. I made a living being a drywall finisher. To be a good finisher and get a good name for yourself, you HAVE to pay attention to detail. Debbie and I did our 1st show in the spring of 1989 at Lakeland, Fl. Exhibited all over the state of FL for 19 yrs. Retired in the fall of 08 and moved to the N.GA. mountains. Started my garden VERY slowly up here. Being very picky about what I grew. Keeping the garden under 100 bush's and growing a little bit of everything. Did the Atlanta spring show of 2012 for my 1st show since retiring. Took what the garden gave me and enjoyed a day at the Botanical Gardens. Won best shrub of the show and trophied the "Oriental" arrangement class. Did the fall show in Buford. Dowager Queen (OGR's) and miniflora King. Not bad for a garden that needs two more years before it is mature (by my standerds). My neighbors really enjoy the garden. They get roses all growing season. To me exhibiting means "sharing".

Comments (9)

Sponsored