SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

Season of Hope/The Thrill of the Bloom - Part 2

10 years ago

Note: Even though this post may be long, it's a heck of a lot shorter than Part 1! I'm getting better!

Thought I'd provide an update on the yard, and also show some of the plumeria that first bloomed after my last post. Everything with an inflo has opened now, except for a Daisy Wilcox, Vera Cruz Rose and what I believe is a Royal Hawaiian. Those should be coming in the next couple of weeks!

Let me start with Buttered Popcorn. It may look like an exploded popcorn kernel with a spot of butter in the center, but what is most amazing about this one is the scent. Not just of popcorn - but of buttered popcorn. How did this happen? Some people stop in their tracks when they smell this one.

Gina

Lava Flow

Hilo Beauty - will it bloom through Christmas this year again?

{{gwi:1209534}}

J-105

Guillot's Sunset, placed at the very top of Na Pali, in honor of Bud Guillot - who identified the flower I found on Craigslist for me - "I believe that's my Sunset!".

Vera Cruz Lutica (Jandey, this one is for you!). Beautiful pure yellow with wonderful scent.

Kimi Moragne

Check out the color changes with temperature on this very fragrant plumeria, which may be called Buttercup Yellow.

Mystery Yellow

Solana Red - a beautiful, tiny little flower

Mardi Gras - this one was living right by the beach, and had almost no color. The color is starting to appear now. It's got a way to go, though, before it becomes the super saturated pastel colored flower I've seen before.

The following two are cuttings which came with these blooms, so I can't take any credit for nurturing them yet. I love them both, though. I can not wait till these cuttings get big!

Purple Jack

Emmerson's Pink Nova

Now here are some of the ones covered in my previous post, but which I just had to give an update on:

Samirie - this one is ever changing, but always beautiful.

Grainy Moragne

Cooktown Sunset - the brightest flower in town

"Anaheim Rainbow" (name made up)

Kaneohe Sunburst

Dutch Orange changes quite a bit, too. Where did those pink veins come from? Beautiful in all temperatures.

Jeannie Moragne

Kimo and Rainbow 36

Lani's Beauty from far below

Mystery Speckled Pink

And had to give a little update on Bill Moragne. What an amazing inflo this one has, I get a kick everytime I pass by it.

I hope no one minds that I throw in some Before/After pics of my yard - when I moved almost three years ago, and now

Before: Corner of the West Lawn

After:

Before: Entrance to the Swimming Hole

After:

Before: Fence around the Swimming Hole

After: ...from the West Lawn

After: ...from the Swimming Hole

The Springs

(no Before pic. It was basically a metal shed surrounded by concrete on all sides)

After:

After: The shower is between an Aztec Gold and a Rainbow 36 - and faces a new 7-8' Stenopetala - great scents on all sides

Before: The West Lawn and the High Country

After:

Before: Na Pali

After:

And a couple of non-plumeria

Roses

Passion Fruit

Mango

And finally, gingers are opening all around the Swimming Hole and Na Pali, these in front of a Gold Coast Peachy.

It looks like the garden has peaked for this year, and outside of 3 plumies that are ready to bloom for the first time, the season of the Thrill of the Bloom is starting to wind down. But what fun it was! Makes all the work and the sweat and the moving trees and bricks and pots and mini-boulders all seem like nothing compared to the sights we get to see and the scents we get to enjoy. Happy Fall everyone! Let's console each other again at next year's Season of Hope, as we wait for inflos to appear and start this process all over again!

PS: Did you see the mantis on the Cooktown Sunset?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville