SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Chinese Snowball Bush (Viburnum) roots but dies when potted

squirrellypete
10 years ago

Hey all. I consider myself to be a pretty decent propagator. For years I have successfully rooted all types of annuals, perennials, herbs, flowering shrubs, evergreens, etc....with a home-built intermittent mist system in coarse construction-grade sand.

One plant that keeps stumping me is the Chinese Snowball Bush. I can root them just fine in the propagation box, and once they form a nice healthy root mass I transplant them to pots just like I do every other shrub I propagate. Unfortunately every cutting slowly turns brown and dies, every single time. Potting mix is a combination of composted manure, sphagnum peat moss and perlite with some osmocote time release fertilizer thrown in for good measure. Everything else seems to thrive in this mixture.

I put viburnum potted cuttings in an area that gets morning sun and afternoon shade. I water when the soil starts to dry out.

Any thoughts?? I almost hate to take cuttings any more knowing full well they're just going to die, it doesn't seem very sporting lol.

Danielle

Comments (11)