SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brenmac0

New Home(Garden) Owner Needing Lilac Advice

brenmac
10 years ago

Hi all,
I've posted here as it seemed the best place for my problem.
I recently bought a new (to me) home with what could be a gorgeous Lilac bush in the front. I don't know how old the bush is, but it looks old. The bush started blooming pretty well at the beginning of the season, but has stalled. As compared to lilacs in my neighbourhood it's down right puney.
I did a bit of trimming as advised by my mother-in-law, but only trimmed off one really old looking branch from the bottom that had no blooms and was very bark-y, and a few shrivveled very small branches that also didn't appear to be blooming any time soon.
The lilas is crowded by a cedar tree on one side (which I plan to trim back ASAP), and I also have a large infestation of dreaded gout weed which is surrounding the bottom of the lilac. I've attached pics of both of these.
What my questions are involve 1)Will trimming back the cedar and removing the gout weed improve the lilac? 2)What is the best (easiest) way to battle down the gout weed without doing damage to the lilac? and 3)What else can I do to improve the lilac?
Any and all advice will be helpful!
Me and my lilac both thank-you :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions