SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

A landscape story

18 years ago

Chapter I - Daughter and family were transfered to a northern city where they had no desire to live. Real estate people tried to sell them houses at least an hour's drive from work in heavy traffic. "Too dangerous to live in the inner city," they were told. However, they drove around the inner city and found a treasured few blocks of three story tudor style homes built about 1920, bought one with a double lot and moved in. We visited after the first of the year and as I walked around the neighborhood I decided that it housed the finest collection of 'meatball shrubs' in the country. Sorry, I am not going to post pictures. All those yews that had been planted during the 20's were still healthy and formed into such grotesque beauty it took my breath away! Daughter and I worked out a landscaping plan. Guess what? The meatballs would be the first thing to go on the plan. Winter set in and all work was on hold until spring.

Chapter 2 - About mid-February our daughter answered a knock on the door. A very nice gentleman introduced himself explaining that he trimmed all the shrubs in the neighborhood and could he continue shaping theirs? When she told him that they were going to be removed tears ran down his cheeks. "But, they are so full and beautiful. You will be destroying art." Daughter was able to gently dismiss him but word traveled quickly around the neighborhood....the front shrub plantings were going to be removed!

Chapter 3 - The first part of the landscape plan involved covering an ugly, but necessary chainlink fence which runs across the entire front of the property. Over the years all of the neighborhood has worked out a series of fences that will slow down intruders lurking around yards. So, during early spring the fence planting was installed and then the meatball shrubs were removed over this last weekend. It attracted a great deal of attention. The neighborhood watched, parked their cars out front and watched, walked around the block several times a day watching. By late Sunday afternoon daughter had been visited by everyone and the excitement is growing. Suddenly people realize that the lovely lines of their handsome homes are concealed behind badly shaped meatballs. So far no one knows the next part of the plan which will replace the meatballs. It is unusual and I think (hope) will start a landscaping revolution within this interesting area.

To be continued......

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions