SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxcher

My first real winter

pdxcher
10 years ago

I just moved to Oregon from SoCal 1.5 months ago. It seems as though Fall has hit. Daytime highs are still in the 70's, but it looks as though overnight lows are hitting low 50's, high 40's and both temps will continue to drop steadily over the next few weeks.

I have read endless posts, but I don't necessarily want my plumie to go dormant. Most posts I've read discusses dormancy and winterizing (as in unpotting them).

In preparation, I bought a heat mat and T5 lamp. I also have an indoor space heater/oscillating fan that I can use if necessary (it's more for me, not the plants, but I can share). Since the temps are dropping, I bought a 3-in-1 spray and did that yesterday (probably last warm day of the year). I'm letting it dry and kill off any bugs before I bring it in.

Some posts say you should remove all the leaves, some say leave some leaves. If I really don't want it to go dormant, do I still need to remove all the leaves? Should I do it anyways so it doesn't encourage spider mite issues?

Also, watering. Obviously, in SoCal, I tend to give my plant some water during the winter when temps hit the 80s. Hey, it happens. Depending on how much it rains, will determine if I water them at all during the winter, or not. However, all the posts state NOT to water AT ALL. But since my plant will be in my house, on a heat mat, under a light, should it give it some water? It seems with the heat/light and being in my dining room, it'll dry out. No? Maybe not. What do you think?

This is my first true "winter". I typically leave my plants outside year-round in SoCal, regardless of how cold it gets....and yet, they thrive. I've never had to deal with lack of sun for months on end and cold days and nights (40's). Oh and can't forget the rain.

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to do as much research as I can, but am not finding the answers I need.

Comments (24)