SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandina_gw

Time and tide....and trees wait for no man

nandina
20 years ago

Garden restoration is difficult. This morning I was thinking about a business trip several years ago which took us near an estate in MA. where I lived during my early years. I wanted to share the experience with DH. Even though we moved when I was ten my memories of this wonderful place still remain very clear. As we toured the estate I recognized only three things; the road pattern remained the same and two small caretaker houses were still in place.

Gone was the four story mansion house with slate Mansard roof. In its place stood full grown mature trees. I remember a circular drive that swept up the hill to the mansion house lined with old sugar maples. The day after the 1938 hurricane that struck New England I awoke to the sight of all those maples felled. Not one remained standing.

The drive is gone, replaced with a forest. Behind the mansion there used to be a lovely garden area and a rectangular planting of arborvitae within which were the clotheslines. After all, no self respecting family hung unmentionables for public view! How many of you have remembered that tidbit as you restore backyard gardens, especially Victorian? The previous gardens have all grown to woods.

Gone is the wonderful arborvitae maze which was kept trimmed to eight feet in height (a copy of the famous one at Hampton House). All a wooded area, now.

Gone is the magnificant old stable and paddocks which housed up to 30 horses. They were the love of my young life!

The forest has overtaken these, too.

Gone are the walking trails which allowed viewing of Rhododendrons and natural plantings. Again, the forest has relandscaped those once beautiful spots.

One of the interesting surprises was noting that huge glacial erratic rocks that I used to climb have all been removed. It must have been a major job relocating them.

No, "you can't go home again". In this day and age that estate could never be restored to its previous glory. At least, the land is still there, protected from development and open to the public. Mother Nature has replaced man's design with her own brand of landscaping. Trees, trees and more trees.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions