SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgecc

The Season of Hope/The Thrill of the Bloom

georgecc
10 years ago

(Warning: This is a long post. I promise not to write in epic length next time. But in all fairness - it does have a lot of pictures!)

It started in mid May - it's only my second year at this, so I may be wrong - but that seemed pretty late. I'm talking about the days when we go out, to survey every plumeria that shows any sign of life, with bare eyes, glasses, binoculars, even a microscope (as we grow more desperate), even calling psychics to find out if today is the day that my precious plumeria shows its first, glorious sign of an inflo. We look, we peak, we peer over and behind each little claw -- is that, that bubbly looking thing - an inflo - or just another leaf waiting to happen? This is the long, merciless, trying time of plumeria gardening that I optimistically call "The Season of Hope".

I did try to borrow a large microscope for early inflo identification from a research lab - but they told me they were busy "discovering things". Hey bud - I want to discover the first inflo on my Grainy Moragne!

But nothing beats the pure unadulterated shouts of joys that someone in our group makes when they realize that what looked like a pointy-headed lone amoeba atop our TBRed Tracy - was actually the first sign that an inflo was coming!

Then, to speed things up - in alphabetical order - this happened! (It didn't happen in alphabetical order, I'm just listing it that way).

The Thrill of the Bloom!

Anaheim Sunset (made up name, the real name is unknown)

Bali Hai Gold - what a scent this has!

Bill Moragne - huge inflo, grape Koolaid scent, and photogenic on webcams

California Sunset

Celadine

Not Celadine, but an attractive relative

Desert Sunrise

Divine

Dutch Orange. It's a beauty. my friend is trying to register this one (unless it turns out to be something else - in which case he'll have to change the name).

Edi Moragne

yes, that's 7 petals on that Edi - and without steroid use!

Elizabeth Thornton Lemon Drop

Firestorm - love the colors on this one

Gold Coast Peachy - if a plumeria can be described as "endearing", this one is it. Makes me happy to pass by it and whiff its wonderful scent. Thank you, Australia! (Will post pics of its Aussie cousin, Cooktown Sunset, soon.)

Grainy Moragne

Grove Farm

Heidi

I Have No Idea (really, I got it from someone in Orange County that said it was a Jeannie Moragne. Even extraterrestrials know that this is not so. Now last time this seller sold me a Jeannie M. it turned out to be a Gina! Why not this time?

Jeannie Moragne (need I say more - my no. 1 in a big list of faves)

Kaneohe Sunburst

Katie Moragne

Kauka Wilder

Kimo - first time it opens and with four inflos!

Lani's Beauty - in the heat

Maui Beauty's Cousin Bob (Bob Beauty) - again, sold as a Maui Beauty - don't know what it is, but it's family (and a great bloomer).

Miami Rose

Mona Lisa - not a lot of blooms this year, but it's young

Pop's Red

Rainbow 36 - blooms were more dramatic last year. Still beautiful.

Red Moragne

Safari (I believe this is Safari - but let me know if now)

Samirie - planted it on the hill, like the mother tree in Kauai (before the hill was bulldozed for a condo project!). Thank you, Tom Morin (not for the bulldozer, but for saving Samirie)!

Stenopetala - a skinny vine-like plumeria plant from Cuba. The bud resembles a hummingbird's profile. I put on some Celia Cruz music and take in the incredible scent that this potent little flower packs.

TBred Tracy - what a strange name. Great plant, thick bushy tips and lots and lots of blooms. Smells like unsweetened chocolate to me. Looks remind me of Red Moragne.

Theodora Crimson - my friend is trying to register this one, too (unless it turns out to be something else - in which case he'll have to change the name). Great velvety crimson flower - wonderful scent, big bloomer. So far this has not been a fussy red. Love this one! (It does not however photograph well, like most real reds. Imagine something 50 times more beautiful than these pics)

Udi Yeud - cutting last year, first inflo this year. Nice unusual scent (little anise in there?). Small pure yellow star shaped flowers.

Unknown Speckled Pink (If you know him, let me know!)

Unknown Yellow

WIldfire

Pics of my young yard - Na Pali! ("The Cliffs!" in Hawaiian, when said enthusiastically), The Swimming Hole and The Springs

Pics of Swimming Hole and Na Pali when I first moved in

Collecting flowers for leis (Southern California Style - with a laundry basket!)

Ending with a sunset behind a Cuban Royal Palm's frond

A little kid came up to me recently, and innocently asked "Mister - Do you think that that William Moragne, Sr. will have more than one inflo this year?" (Kids in Simi Valley are surprisingly plumeria savvy, unlike most counties in SoCal). "We can only hope, I said - as long as there's summer (and grow lights), there is always hope." He nodded in agreement, anticipating that great smell of grape Koolaid, coming from not just one branch - but two! That is the kind of giddy anticipation that drives us, each year, from The Season of Hope to the The Thrill of the Bloom.

PS: Will post some more blooms when they open. Still awaiting a few inflos!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor