SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musarojo

The Addicts Tale

musarojo
17 years ago

It all started in such an innocent manner and it took a while for my addiction to get out of control. A neighbor had a large tree and I decided I wanted just one. I bought one plant that looked like it started life as a center cut with three branches. It is a Celadine type plant. It grew and bloomed and I was satisfied.

The next year, a different neighbor trimmed her tree and gave me several large branches because I had refused to accept money for fixing her computer. I didnÂt know how to root them, so I went to Plumeria 101 and saw the incredible varieties that are available. I rooted the cuttings, kept one and gave the rest to relatives. I began to feel the need for more, but still felt in control and decided I might obtain one or two more plants. I have several other plant addictions and didnÂt want a new one.

Year Three: yet another neighbor received a bunch of cuttings from a friend and gave me several. I rooted them and they bloomed. They were a beautiful but unknown rainbow type. I now had a Celadine type, the one from the previous year, which turned out to be a nice white type and the rainbow. Neighbors and friends were beginning to ask me questions about rooting and general care. I still felt things were under control and decided to order a cutting or two the next spring instead of relying on the kindness of neighbors.

This Spring: All of my plumeria were covered in blooms and something snapped! I ordered several named cuttings (my first) for myself. I ordered cheap generic cuttings from another dealer so that I could hook friends, neighbors and relatives! I rooted the generics and gave them to unsuspecting victims. I needed more; I bid on and won an auction of generic cuttings on e-Bay.

And then the most shameful event occurred. I was looking through the plumeria listings on e-Bay and saw a listing that was due to expire in fifteen minutes, for a much sought after variety. What to do? There were no bids for this cutting! I checked the sellerÂs e-Bay rating and found it acceptable, but she wasnÂt on the list of approved dealers that is circulating among the serious addicts! I decided to take a chance and poach the cutting! I filled out the bid form for the sellerÂs start price and waited. At ten seconds to close, I pushed the "send" button and hoped I was the first to get a bid in. My screen flashed; I was the high bidder but could still be outbid! And then, a split second later, anothor screen flash and I was being asked to pay for the cutting that was now mine! Still shaking, I made arraignments with PayPal to transfer some of my funds to this dealer.

Is my driveway never to be free of pots with rooting cuttings? I have been given seeds and they have taken their place in a community pot on my driveway. And I can only wonder down what paths my overpowering addiction shall take me in the future, and how many others I will take with me.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County