SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_mohave__kid

What do we mean by restoration ?? Some thoughts...

The_Mohave__Kid
20 years ago

Quite a while back I was bored of the typical request for landscape services and considered adding the term "restoration" to some of my advertisements after seeing some, "This Old House" reruns ...but was taken a back by someones comment. "How can you restore a landscape ... you don't restore a tree ?? " ... they said ...

It is easy in theory to restore an old grandfathers clock that your Great Great Grandma once had ... you need to make it look and work the way it did when she had it ....

Gardens are meant to grow and never stay still .. in fact we hope for change not only to plants but even to hardscapes.

Can we really restore a garden ?? To what point in time do we return the garden ?? How do we know what the garden would look like at that time ??

Why do we renovate ?

Can we renovate a landscape and achieve restoration at the same time ? How ?

How do the terms renovation and conservation relate to the restoration of a garden ?

Even hardscapes weather and change in time for the better ... and plants ?? .... Can plants be restored ?? Really ? HOW ??

I remember working on some rather old irrigation systems back east ... old galvanized pipes and manual valves ...

If you were completely in charge and you found such a system in a very OLD garden ... would you restore it or replace it ?? ... Why ?.. OR if the garden never had irrigation would you add it ?? Why ?

Good Day ....

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions