SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveplants22

August pics of Plumerias in VB

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share some of my pics of my trees...

Hope you all are having a great summer!!!

Take Care...

Laura in VB

Lemon Drop

{{gwi:1582}}

{{gwi:1200263}}

{{gwi:1200264}}

{{gwi:1200266}}

{{gwi:1200267}}

{{gwi:6506}}

This is the Divine that fell over yesterday...

{{gwi:1200268}}

{{gwi:720575}}

{{gwi:1200269}}

Black Tiger Inflo

{{gwi:1200270}}

{{gwi:1200271}}

Hubby enjoying the 95* temps while mowing....

Thanks for looking.... have a great day!!!

Laura in VB

Comments (53)

• 13 years ago

Oh my goodness! Palms, plumerias, and swimming pools. Doesn't get much better than that!

Love the Daisy Wilcox! Great photo of a great plumeria. And those desert roses! Wow!

dave

• 13 years ago

Good Evening Laura,
    What is the plumeria after the plumeria seedlings? Is that also the black tiger? I just planted my Kimo plumeria seedlings that just sprouted. I have never done this before, and I was amazed that they germinated in less than one week! How old are your seedlings and how long from seed to mature blooming plumeria tree? Besides us both enjoying growing plumerias, I see that we both enjoy growing mango trees. I actually have quite a few tropical frui trees. Right now I am a cogshall mango that is still small and I three weeks ago I bough a maha chinook mango tree from Frankies. What varieties do you have and where did you buy them? Your Daisy Wilcox is really nice. Does it have a good fragrance? I also have an adenioum. This is the first year I am trying to grow them. It has 17 flower buds and one is open right now. It is an Ice pink. I am getting two more year old seedlings froma guy I did a trade with. I was told that they can be quite tricky to grow because they need to be really warm and need full sun. So far, I am having good results but I have heard the winter is where I will have trouble. I was also told by someone else that they go dormant all winter. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. I really do admire your plumerias and the yard you have. Very beautifull. Great Job!
    Andrew

• Related Discussions

Pics of Dormant Plumeria waking up...DR's too!

Q

Comments (16)
    Hello EVeryone, Mike...You are doing everything right..I responded to your thread..on what I do with mine...Like Bill suggest..I use epsom salt once I bring them outside..or into the temps greenhouse...then a few weeks later..i fertilize with reduced strenght...also use fish emulsion and seaweed extract...i also mix in some b-1 and superthrive...I actually use superthrive everytime i water....These trees have their own personality...I have seen some strange things with mine...some have produced inflos..then the new branches that have formed from the split have new inflos...it just depends on how they are in the growth phase...they will produce inflos when they decide to!! Dave..I keep my DR's in the greatroom with the other tropicals...i do not keep them tucked away like the Plumeria..but they naturally drop their leaves and just stay in a somewhar dormant phase...I do water maybe once a month..more so than the Plumeria...They just hang out with the other plants in my room..average temp in here is 69*..or when I turn it up to 70* without my hubby seeing me turn up the thermostate!! LOL..really they just are happy where they are..I don't move them at all either...I did experimnet with one of them and cut back some of the limbs a few weeks ago...now they are putting out new branches...so i will probably trim them up just a little before I put them ot for the spring...My limbs are still green and look strong...I think one of the keys is to just let them be..just like the plumeria..if we try and mother them to much they tend to act up on us...I learned this the hard way...Bill has taught me from the get go that we have to just let the do their own thing and just monitor them... Hope this helps!!! How is everything up in NoVa? Pretty cold here..two nights ago we received 5 inches of snow...go figure? To much snow.and to cold for me!! LOL.. How is your cute little K---? Take care everyone!!! Laura in VB
    ...See More

July pics of palms and other plants in VB

Q

Comments (22)
    Hello Everyone, Randy, Thank you...Im glad your seeds are doing well!!! So your Hibiscus is pretty tall eh? My friends still have comments everytime they come over, so its nice to see flowers on them during the summer so they finally believe me that they are not some other...aaa...weed!! LOL!!!! Brian, Thanks for the new email...so that's the problem!!! LOL...we need to catch up on some of those scores...LOL!!! Really, it would be nice to chat...ill email you soon. Im on the road right now and ill be home this weekend. So, Its alright to come and park in front of your house with all of the "HOKIE" stuff all over the truck/camper when we come up for the games? LOL...illl even put the banner on the back ladder of the camper just for you!!! LOL...that way all of your neighbors will think you have switched sides...LOL...(chuckling hard here!!!) How is everything in LYH? Cant wait to hear!!! Did i tell u that Chris Ta.... lives down the street from us. He was your star player this year. He and my son grew up together playing soccer at school..What a nice young man!! Vince, Those seeds will stay on the tree for you...i usually cut the seed pods down because after they flower and turn to seed, they look awful..but, ill leave them on for you!!! As for the Pindos during the winter. I believe the first year i did wrap the hearts with the heat tape and tucked them in with Burlap, like i did with all of the Sabals. I dont wrap any of themm anymore. Especially after the first few years. They have all adjusted to our winters, but when we do have a huge snow storm, i do go out and knock off the snow from the fronds. Some say to do this others say not to. I just hate to see all of that weight on the fronds...i do have a pic of my hubby doing this. When i get home and on my computer with my pics, ill post a pic of the Winter look! You will get a kick from this pic!!! The heat has been brutal..i feel for anyone who has to work out in this heat...stay cool!!! Just walking across the tarmac here in CLT was a blistering 118* today....thats with the heat index Yikes!!! Take care everyone...cant wait to get home and check on the progress of the new inflos on my Plumies... If some of u all want to see more blooms of some rare Thai variety...let me know and ill be happy to post them!! Take care everyone... Laura in VB
    ...See More

Late August 2011 (Pre Irene) pics of my yard

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks Randy! I used to have a pygmy palm, but it died last year. I never have good luck with them indoors. My fig tree is doing good, but I saw a fig tree a few blocks from be that was about 25 feet across, 20 feet tall, and probably had somewhere around 2000 figs on it (not 200, 2000). It was LOADED! I never saw so many figs per stem ever, everywhere a fig could grow on the stem, it was growing. I might knock on the door just to know what they are doing for it because mine had a lousy 5 figs this year (but in its defense, it was planted just this spring). Even though figs are suppose to be somewhat marginal here, I have to admit that I have never see a fig that wasnt full and loaded with fruit! Good luck Chadec! I hope it doesn't do doo much damage by you either! Looks like you should be far enough to escape the hurricane force winds, but some of those gusts can definitely knock a few plants over. Definitely take some pics! Thanks TJ. Im not sure the name of the fern, but I got it from Home Depot and I think its a Polystichum, but I dont know the species. If you can find out, tell me and I'll tell you if I do find the name! I was under a tropical storm warning a few years ago and I remember some minor damage to the banana plants, losing a large outdoor lamp, and having a few potted plants falling down. I think your plants should make it through though! Good luck! Good luck to everyone who is dealing, or will be dealing, with Irene. It isnt as threatening as before, but its still dangerous and can still do some plant damage. -Alex
    ...See More

August 2010 pics of the yard (and comparisons from early summer)

Q

Comments (20)
    Thanks Chris! I wish I had a greenhouse, but I dont really have a place where it would look good and get the benifits of the sun. I usually just put the plants around the house with the tallest palms going by the tallest ceiling . Last year all the plants barely had a place to go and this year I have a LOT more so Im starting to get a little worried. I think Im going to partially convert a room into a greenhouse since it has nice south facing windows and is rarely used. But one day I would really love to put all these plants in a greenhouse! Until then my house becomes a jungle with all the plants are fighting for their lives until spring finally comes! I think I am going to look up about greenhouses and maybe see where one can go. I can dream :) And thanks for the tip about the Fireball bromeliad. Originally when I took them out in late march, they were in full sun, but when the tree grew leaves for the summer, It got a lot more shade. I think next year Im going to look for a place with more sun and maybe if I get enough pups, I will have a few more plants too! And you got my ending signature just right! Sometimes I dont even notice Im writing it, lol.... Good luck! -Alex
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Your plumerias and all your plants are looking great!!! I see you finally have some mango trees now!! I hope they do well. All your plants look like they are loving the heat from this summer and are growing so well. How many plumerias do you have now? I only have 8, but many more are coming.
    And I see those palms looking great in the background!
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• 13 years ago

Thanks Dave!!!

Andrew,

The Plumeria after the seedlings is a no name...it has been such a great tree!!! It bloomed last year and was the first to bloom again this year with multiple inflos. This tree was my first Plumeria and is very special...even though it is a Noid!!! I really like the flowers...I once saw a Slaughter Pink and it looked like this Plumeria.

I also have tried my luck with the citrus trees...Myers Lemons have done well for me...so I did order two Mangos. One is a Glenn and the other is a Cari. They were all sold out of the Cogshall when I ordered and they said that it would be several months before they recieved more. So you are lucky to have one of those!!! I orded mine from Pine Island Nurseries in Florida. They were very helpful and great to order from. You wouldn't believe the way they packaged those trees...Quite impressive with the care and the knowledge in shipping!!!

The Daisy Wilcox has a beautiful full fragrance and I love this tree!!! I would highly suggest this variety to anyone...it's a beauty and I am very pleased with everything about this Plumeria. I just rooted this cutting this spring and it was the last to root..so I was quite concerned with it since it was producing an inflo while I was trying to root. Needless to say, I was glad that I left the inflo on while it was rooting!! Quite a show of blooms!!!

Your Desert Rose has that many blooms? You are really doing something right!!! Congratulations..it takes me quite a while to finally get the feel of growing this babies....Mine like the full sun and also likes to be kept moist during the summer. When I bring them in during the winter, they tend to drop their leaves as well. But they do not go dormant for me like the Plumerias. I just give them a little water during the winter and keep them in a sunny window. Don't be surprised if they look like they are having a problem this winter...once you put them back out in the spring, they really start to leaf out again!!!

I also enjoy seeing your pictures..you do a great job with all of your plants and trees as well!!!

Thanks Andrew...and hope you have success with your Mangos...

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

How are you doing Alex!!!

I did finally order those Mangos...Hopefully they will do well for me this winter!!!

I have around 20 trees...and yes, I say that this is it!!!
    All of my cuttings that I rooted came thru with flying colors so now they are really enjoying this heat here in the south. The temps are really extremely high for the area and we have had indexes in the triple digits for the last several months. So all of the trees and plants have been soaking up the water. I sometimes have to double check with the water meter, because I feel like I just watered them!!!
    Especially that Divine...it's seems to be drying out everyday. The other day we had a huge storm here in VB and my Divine was knocked over by a huge gust of wind...one of the large branches broke off...I was so upset at losing one of those branches...I'm feeling better about it now...but it was so upsetting because I had tied off all of the other trees and thought that it would be fine down on the bottom part of the deck...anyway, it's all fine now!!! LOL...another branch to start again!!!

You say more are on the way? What did you order? I hope you post pictures of your new ones!!!

The Palms are doing great...you can see that they have flowered and now have gone to seed. You can see the brown color in the pictures and it only gets darker and the fronds get heavy with the seeds that hang down. So probably next week, I will cut down all of the seed fronds and let the energy focus on the rest of the trees and not on growing seeds. Quite a chore now that they are tall...Gives my neighbors something to talk about!!! LOL.. Especially while I'm on the ladder!!!

Hope all is well with you...enjoyed those SD pictures!!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Andrew,

I forgot to anwser your question about the seedlings...Sorry!! They are about 2 weeks old and sprouted fairly quickly. This is the first time for me growing them from seed. I ordered some fertilizer from Maui Plumeria Gardens and they sent them to me with my fertilizer for free!! That was a nice touch...great marketing on their part!!! See, now I'm talking about what a nice little thing that they did for me!! LOL...

Take care everyone!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    My adenium desert rose Ice Pink is new. I got it a few months back. I didn't do well with it at first. It dropped all its flower buds when I got it home from the greenhouse. I think it held on to maybe one flower bud that opened and that was it. I put it outside and didn't acclimate it to the sun, and it dropped all its leaves but it was from sun scorch. It regrew more leaves really fast and actually I got another cluster of leaves right away. If anything, I think my sucess is due to dumb luck. Whatever it is, I am not complaining. It looks really nice. I can't wait to get the two seedlings that I have coming in the mail.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Wow!! What a great bunch of plants. I can learn so much from looking at other peoples plumeria. I like the way you have your babies staked and what a great yard. Lots of room.

• 13 years ago

Laura, Nothing new on the way yet. I did get an evergreen singapore plumeria but thats about it. Don't feel too bad about losing a divine branch, I lost a branch on one of my plumerias when I was moving it outside, but it must have forgiven me since its making another flower. I hope the mangos do well but I hear they make great indoor plants so there should be no problems. Ill post some pics when my pudica inflo begins to bloom. I already have 2 inflos on that plant. I love it and next year Im definitely putting more plumerias in the ground since they really grow well when they have room to move. I now have 5 plumerias with inflos (8 actual inflos) so I will hopefully have lots of plumeria pics to post soon!!
    Good luck!!!
    -Alex

• 13 years ago

Andrew, Where do you order Adenium seedlings? I've had trouble finding them anywhere.
    Thanks,
    Amanda

• 13 years ago

Sorry Amanda,
    I didn't order them anywhwere. I got them in a trade.

• 13 years ago

Thanks Konatiki!!! I really enjoy looking at others pictures as well...we always learn something from seeing how others grow their trees and plants!! You have a great group of trees as well...they seem to be thriving in that California sunshine!! It's finally summertime for you all...sorry that the "June Gloom" lasted so long for you all. Hopefully now everything will take off and really produce for everyone out there!!

Great pics of the first tree that you had...love the fire display!!! :)

Alex...Five Plumerias with Eight inflos? Great Job!!!
    After the slow spring with the growth on your trees, they have really produced for you...WAY TO GO!!!
    So you really like to plant in the ground? Do you sink the pots? How do you repot ater being placed in the ground with out any pots in the ground? I am very curious..I would like to try this as well... Thanks for any info!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

I planted it in the ground with no pot, but Im not going to recommend this method to anyone yet since the hardest part is digging them up for the winter and I havent done that yet! But I will definitely update it during the winter. I plan on digging it out as carefully as possible and keeping as much of the original dirt as possible. Then Im going to place it in a pot and let it go semi-dormant.

Im really worried since Im pretty sure Im going to lose the inflo that is on it now but hopefully I will get some nice flowers before it goes inside. I think I should be getting its first blooms from it in another 2 weeks.

Hopefully I dont regret putting it in the ground but its enjoying it so much right now and I definitely think plumerias do there best in the ground. And I was originally going to sink a pot in the ground until the elephant ears, whose pots I placed in the ground, began to rot. The soil in my yard is pretty bad but none of the plants are complaining and they like it a lot more than pots. I dont think I would ever put my larger plumerias in the ground though since I think they might get too established too quickly and be very difficult to dig up without destroying it when fall comes. In the future I might have to sink the pot in the ground but if I do, I wouldn't use a weak plastic nursery pot, but instead a stronger plastic nursery pot. I would drill a few holes in the pot so it doesnt rot the plant and the plant's roots can freely go in the ground.

I will keep you updated on its progress! Blooms will be coming soon and by mid october I will probably have to dig it up and see how it does!
    -Alex

• 13 years ago

Dave is right, it doesn't get much better than that!

Look at the flowers, the pool, and the smile on your husbands face...

Laura, I forgot. How in the world did you winter yours? You have many that came to bloom. I am so proud of you.I on the other hand..:-(:-(:-(

Just a bunch of leaves....Strong work my friend!

Enjoy that pool! Before we know it, it will have to be covered again by falling leaves, right about the same time the hair cuts on our plumies begin....Ouch..

Mike..:-)

• 13 years ago

Thanks Mike!!!

I do the same (Trimming the trees) as you in the late fall.
    Seems rather brutal when I do this...but it seems to work well for the trees in this area. They all go in a back room that is vacated by my son (college), so I place all of the trimmed trees on plastic and let them go dormant for the winter. They stop getting water about 2 weeks before I bring them inside. Then I only water them once a month...and that is usually about 1 cup for the large pots and about one half of a cup for the smaller pots. The room is kept cool and I close the blinds and keep them closed until spring...

I also spray them for bugs before I trim and then again after...

How have you been Mike? Did you see my Mangos? I will post soon on the citrus forum....

How is your brother? How much longer does he have?
    My son in law comes home in 10 days from Afgan. from his year long deployment...YEAAAAAA!!! I was thinking that your brother has been gone about the same amount of time...Hope all is well with him...and may he continue to be safe and come back home soon!!! HOORAHHHH!!!!

Take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Hi, great pictures! I only have 2 plumerias and one of them has flowers like your lemon drop. But I thought it was an Aztec Gold. Do you know the difference between the two?

Thanks!
    TJ

• 13 years ago

Karate626,

My Aztec Gold has not bloomed for me this year...but I would assume the fragrance as well as the difference in coloration of the yellow would play a part. The leaf size as well...Hopefully someone will pop on and tell you that has had both bloom so they can give you more of an answer.
    I'm sure it is an Aztec gold (was it labeled?) Did you purchase it from a nursery? If so, I'm sure it's correctly labeled.

Congratulations on the blooms!!! It a beautiful thing!!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

aztec gold is a slightly larger flower with more rounded petals and smells like peaches.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 13 years ago

Thanks Laura and tdog! My plant was a cutting from a friend who bought it labeled as a Aztec Gold.

Thanks again!
    TJ

• 13 years ago

Laura, the more I look at your yard, the more I want to move next door! LOL! I LOVE all your Plumies! I only have one small one. It seems to be doing great so far. I Love em, just have never had one until this summer.

My friends place in Florida has tons of them and they are HUGE! Hopefully when mine blooms I can find out exactly what kind it is.

Thanks for all the fantastic photos!

• 13 years ago

Laura, I love your Lemon Drop, it looks just yummy!!!! :) Hows the smell? All your plants and seedlings look so healthy..And your yard-wow-love it....

• 13 years ago

Hey Novaplantguy,

Come on oveer...I'm sure we can find you something close!!! LOL... Thanks for the great comments!!! : )
    I love everthing you are doing up your way as well...

So you came over to the Plumeria side!!! Welcome my friend!!! You will be ordering more...you do know that right? Just a friendly warning...to a fellow Virginian!!!

You can always email me if you need anything...OK?

Nikki,

My Lemon Drop does smell wonderful...very full and strong scent of lemons..and the blooms seem to stay around for a long time too!!! Thanks for the great comments on my yard,,,we both enjoy taking care of all of the duties,,,except when it;s in the upper 90's and indexex in the tripel digits....yuck!!! thanks again, I love seeing all of your trees....you have a beautiful collection!!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Thank you so much Laura!!!!

Well, as it turns out I WAS going to order a few to increase my collection from the one Singapore Dwarf (obtusa) that I have, but that is no longer necessary! Haha! After a few days of looking online at things, I got TWO consecutive emails within a couple hours of each other I think. One was from the Master Gardner list serve I am on, (I'm a certified VA Master Gardner now =o) ) and the other was from a very kind and generous forum member here who is not far from me. ;-) Both were offering to give away several of their beautiful plants to good homes. One is moving to Kona, HI, and the other just needed to down size their collection just a bit. I think the two prizes I got were one that is BLOOD RED, and a Nebels (sp?) Rainbow. One is from seed and has not bloomed yet, so that one will be a complete surprise as to what color it is and how it blooms.

Sometimes I guess things in the universe just align right, and things just work out for everyone. So for now, I think I have enough plants that my Plumie collection is well started. My goal is to take these with me in my eventual move to most likely Florida / zone 10. I still have not ruled out down to a zone 8b however.

I've always LOVED Plumeria, and did have two I rooted once from a cutting a forum member here gave me, but one I gave away, and the other got beaten up by hail, then broken by falling tree branches and wind and just never recovered. I decided to wait until I had the space to feed the Plumie addiction, and well, I now have that space, and it has been way more than fed! More like a frenzy! LOL! Ill try to get a some photos of them up on here shortly.

It's nothing even close to your yard or anyone elses here really, but it is a start! =o) Thank you again! I love your photos and your yard!

• 13 years ago

Hey Ken,

I am so glad to hear about your new additions to your plant family!!!

Good things happen to good people...I truly believe that!!!

Please post pics of your newest additions and of all of your beautiful palms as well...we love to see everything here!!! LOL... Please keep in touch when you travel down to FLA!!!

I also want to share with you and other members that my son in law just arrived home from his second duty from the middle east...This time from his year long duty over in Afganistan!! I am so proud of him...he is a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne division and has been through alot!!!
    This is a little off topic but I have to share my happiness with my plumie friends as well!!!

Thanks to all of our service members and veterans for everything you do for us...I (we) appreciate all that you do for us...THANK YOU !!! XOXOXO

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

VB? Where is that? You have a beautiful backyard.

Linda

• 13 years ago

Hey Linda,

I'm in Virginia Beach....where are you located in Va?

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Beautiful plants, they all look so happy and healthy. What is the water temperature for your swimming pool? Is it warm enough to swim in?

• 13 years ago

Hey Newgen,

Thanks for the compliments... yes the water temp in the pool is more than ready to swim in!!! Most of the time in June July and August it reaches about 80-85 degrees. Sometimes it feels like bathwater when the temps reach triple digits...When the nights cool it finally reaches better temps...My Hubby will swim right when we open it. That is usually around Memorial day. I won't because it will take my breath away...I wait!!! LOL...

Love it though...it's alot of work, but it really is a wonderful thing to have..especially when the temps reach 95 degrees and higher!!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Hello Laura,
    I am so glad that your son has made it home. I cannot imagine what it must be like to have your own child in the military. I take my hat off to all the servicemen for the job they do to protect us americans.

I wanted to ask how your mangoes are doing? Mine are still small but thank god for this nice xtra warm summer. I am getting my first flush on my Maha Chinook mango. I am so excited. I just hope it stays warm enough in New York to allow the growths to harden off. I am still getting flowers ansd inflos on my newly rooted plumie cuttings. I am just a little concerned with my Kona hybrid. I got it in July I believe and I have had it potted up and no roots yet. The temps are going to be dropping sooner than I want and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the cutting takes. I really like the flowers of this plumeria.

Well I hope you enjoy the time with your son and your family.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

Hello Andrew,

Thank you for your kind words...they really mean alot!!!
    He's back safe and sound and we are so happy, thankful and so very proud of him and all of the servicemen and women that serve and protect us 24/7...It truly is such a great joy that words are hard to express!!! But, I really appreciate your kindness....THANK YOU!!!

My Mangos are growing pretty well, they have both finished their first flush and look like they could start again!!
    Hopefully they will continue to do well. I'm a little nervous about bringing them in for the winter...But Alex had mentioned that they were pretty easy to take care of during the winter...so we shall see!!! Did you repot yours? Mine are still in the same nursery pots that they arrived in..so I'm not sure if I should leave them or repot. This is new to me with the Mangos, so hopefully they will continue to do well!!

If you don't mine me asking...what part of NY are you near?
    Upstate? or near the city?

Glad to hear that your plumies are still flowering for you!!
    Last fall I had Inflos that wanted to form right when the weather started to turn cool...hopefully this won't happen this year. My Black Tiger is almost ready to bloom and my Hawaiian Village Plumie is pushing up an inflo :) We would love to see any pictures of your Plumies!!!

Good luck with your cutting (Kona) I know how hard it is to root at this time of the year, especially with the cooler nights setting in. Have you thought about putting it on a seedling mat for extra heat at night? That may help you with the rooting process at this time of the year up in NY.

Let us know how your plants are doing and good luck with your Kona cutting!!!

Thanks again for thinking of my family!!! :)

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Hi Laura,
    No thank you's needed. I cannot imagine having to be in your families position with having your son in the military. My heart goes out to all the families of servicemen and women. I live in western NY. I am about 1o minutes away from Lake Erie which is a good thing because it offers more protection and heat during ouir winters. I can normally keep my plants outside until around Halloween and last year it was actually mid November! I will have to post pictures of my plumerias. I only started with two this spring, my Nebel's Gold and my Dwarf singapore Pink. I joined the Aloha Plumeria Group and bought Celadine, Intense Rainbow, and Pudica. I also got an Aztec Gold from Dave, and the Kona cutting.

I used the raw egg method, and amazingly, my cuttings all have rooted except for one of the pudicas. The celadine was such a great bloomer! I have two Intense Rainbows that are going to flower but the pudica may not bloom this year. I know it can bloom year round but my priority in the winter is for my 15 tropical fruit trees.

I have a Cogshall mango which was not happy this summer. I am going to repot it and hopefully it will do better. Both of them were bare root. I bought the Cogshall when I was on vacation in Florida last summer. My Maha Chinook mango is a Thai mango that I just got from Hawaii. I think with mangoes, it is almost better to keep them a little root bound, which helps with root rot. I have lost mango trees to this before. They can be really sensative to root rot. Good luck with both and I will look thru some pictures and post them maybe tomorrow or Thursday. I found out from my mom today that my niece had a baby girl last night around 3:00am, so I want to say hello today.
    Andrew

• 13 years ago

I just had to look at these pictures again...

Takes the sting away from fall and the bald looks of my plants..

Beautiful Laura..Where is the picture of your Mango tree?..I am lost on these forums lately..

I hope you are doing well Tdogdad and everyone else...I love your Aztec Gold flowers..

MIke

• 13 years ago

Dreaming of summer already.... Thanks Mike for bringing this thread back to my attention....

It really does make me long for those beautiful blooms...

Feeling the chill in VB!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

These pics look even better now that it isnt summer anymore! I cant wait until the warm weather comes back!!!
    -Alex

• 13 years ago

tropicalzone7 - I agree!

I love looking at your pics Laura! It's paradise and I'd love to be your neighbor too!! i almost wanted to give up on Plumerias but seeing your pics (and Andrew's encouragement) does very much to inspire and motivate me to try again. Thanks for sharing your pics and reminding me that plumerias are indeed worth the effort and hard work!
    Happy Growing & enjoy your weekend everyone.
    -Bo

• 13 years ago

Hey Bo...I'd love for you to be my neighbor!!!

You definately have the abiliy too grow these beauties...WE all here will help you...You can always ask anyone here on this forum as well as Andrew and myself...I will help you out as much as I can...please do not give up...with your experience with C & S, you will have no problem ny friend!!!

I learned so much from all of these great people here on this forum...they will help you as well...

Thanks for the comments Bo...

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Laura in VB

• 13 years ago

Goodness....I am sorry..I can not help looking at this beautiful thre4ad and reading what you wonderful friends have to say!

I have to pinch myself to remind myself that we are not in summer anymore..:-(

Andrew has forvever been trying to get me to look at that plumeria site, and trust me I really apprciate it Andrew, and just as soon as I can keep my eyes and mind open some night, I am there..

Laura, I can envision myslef sitting on your deck surrounded by all that beauty and fragrance..
    You know? I have yet to get any of mine to BLOOM!! I am tired of trying..All the plumies, and not a one to flower..I pray this spring I get soem finally..
    Along of course with my DR thanks to you!!:-)))))........................................:-)

Hi Bo!!!! Now seeing you over here definately put a smile on my face from cheek to cheek!

I am with you Tropicalzone..

Mike

• 12 years ago

Hello!!!!!!!!1your pics are beautiful, I wish I could have one of each ha ha please let me know where I could order a few of these. re your mangoes I did not know that they grow in your area. do you get fruits? please let me know, Thanks Jo

• 12 years ago

Hello Jo,

Thanks for bringing this thread back to my attention...lol Its fun to actually revisit this thread and see how my trees have grown. Ill have to post a recent pic of the "Plumeria Wall" as Josh calls it..!!! : )

My Mango trees have never had any blooms, therefore no fruit!!! I did loose one of them but the other...The Glenn is still looking good. I did trim it back hard just a month ago. Andrew really encoraged me to do it..and i did since it was getting so tall and lanky. It is now branching out like crazy.

I will look back at where i bought my Mangos for you. It escapes me right now, but i'll look for you. I do remember how impressed i was on the shipping and how they took great care in packaging them and mailing them to me. I will check...

Here are a few pics of the trees (Plumies now ) and of the Mango...

Thanks for bunping this thread and making me think back to August of last year...Wow!!! Things have changed.

All sorts of new growth and many wonderful additions to my new family of trees as well as my wonderful friends : )

You all are a great group of friends and i am thankful for all of your kind comments thru the years...

Take care,

Laura in VB

August of 2011 First pics. are of Royal Hawaiian, then Guillots Sunset, Desert Sunrise.

{{gwi:7814}}

A couple of blooms for you too... : )

{{gwi:7809}}
    {{gwi:1200277}}
    Desert Sunrise{{gwi:107809}}

take care everyone...

Laura in VB

• 12 years ago

Great pics.
    Thank for sharing.

LE in TX.

• 12 years ago

Laura, can I be jealous of your plants and blooms? My summers are too short here in northern Utah for my plummies to bloom when they are outside. They don't start sending up buds until I take them back inside under the grow lights (in about a week or so.) I have buds starting on my Dwarf Decidious and my Jungle Jack's miniature white, but no buds on anything else. So far, my Dwarf Decidious has been my most faithful bloomer.

• 12 years ago

Laura, I traded plants for 10 plumeria seedlings in June, they are about 12 inches tall, and growing well down at the coast. Some of the seedlings have alot of red veining in the leaves. In fact some of the plants have really red leaves. Will the red color fade as the plants mature? I have never seen plumeria leaves this color, but these are the only seedlings I have ever seen. All my plants have green leaves. I can hardly wait to see what blooms from these seedlings in two to three years. Barbra

• 12 years ago

Barbra, I can't speak for others, but I have plumeria seedlings of Mardi Gras, JL Tornado and Vera Cruz Rose exhibiting the red new leaves. They will grow out more green, sometimes keeping a red edge or veins on the front or, most likely, back. This red may indicate a future flower with deep coloration or at least a red or dark pink banding on the back, so I tend to keep those seedlings. In any case, your seedlings will be fun to watch develop their different characteristics.

Jen

• 12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Jo, i checked on where i purchased my Mangos..It was from Pine Island Nursery in Florida. If you were asking about where to purchase some Plumeria, I would suggest Florida Colors, Jungle Jacks and Maui Plumeria Gardens. If you wnat to but some cuttings, you can always try ebay...be careful though, i was just recently burned there. You can find some reputable sellers like one stop Aloha...i would trust them. Thank you for bringing back this thread!!! Made my day to see the change in my trees since last year!!!

LE,

Thank you for the nice comments...welcome to the forum!!!

Artic,

Seriously? You have the best ability to grow anything!!! Living in Utah, with the snow capped mountains in the background and growing Palm trees and Plumeria there?

I am always in awe at what you have done and what you have growing in your area. If only the people here on this forum could see some of your pictures of your palms...They wouldnt believe it.

Please for some of my Plumie friends who dont get to see what we Palm freaks see on that forum...post a few pics of your Windmill with the snow capped mountains behind...you know the pic that im talking about...its beautiful!!!

As far as your Plumies, you have blooms all year ...

Im glad to hear that you have some that are blooming well!!

Nice to see you over hear on the Plumie side!!!

Barbra,

Jen is correct in that i would value those red veined seedlings. Also the red leafed seedlings.. That to me is a good indication that you will have a dark red blooming Plumeria or something deeper than the usual yellow, white ot even pink. When i see the seedlings like that that have red leaves, veining..they are keepers.

I did give one of my red veined seedlings to Hunter. He is a young 13 year old who loves Plumeria and Palmtrees..How could i not share one with him!!! : )

Hunter, if you are reading this post...i would love to know how your tree is doing? Remember, it is in the Gritty Mix and likes to be watered more than in the normal soil. That mix is very fast draining.

Jen,

How is everything? Any rain?

Thanks for helping Barbra with her questions!!! You are so nice to help with all of the questions.

I have been very busy with work and it has been crazy with the weather, delays etc. Ugggg!

Thanks again for everything. I need to take some pics of the new babies and show them to you!!! They are all doing well. I did feel the velvet skin on the Maverick. Felt just like the ET Lenon Drop. That was really interesting...

Take care everyone,

Laura in VB

• 12 years ago

Your Plumerias are so healthy and beautiful and your entire yard is just gorgeous!

• 12 years ago

Laura, it has been nice to see the changes in your plants over the year since you originally posted!

No rain here yet! I keep watching the radar and storms hit north, south and east of us but nothing at my house; so frustrating.

I'm sorry I keep forgetting to tell you that the Texas Star hibiscus seeds you sent are doing so well. I shared quite a few with my mom and friends, but the 20 I planted came up very quickly and I now have about 15 healthy seedlings that are already about 5" tall. Thank you again! I'll get a picture up one of these days.

Hope your travel is done for the weekend!

Jen

• 12 years ago

Laura, your yard always looks gorgeous, so lush and green, and everything looks so healthy and happy!
    Love your Desert Sunrise! That is one of my favorites! (LOL, after I finished saying this, I caught myself thinking are there any that are not my favorites? - very feww :-)

• 12 years ago

Hello Everyone!!

Jen...Thank you!! It is fun to see the change. I wouldnt have really noticed until Jo posted to this old thread. ITs made my day to see the old pics!!!

Im glad to hear that the Texas Star is doing well for you!! They love the heat and im sure they will do great for you. I just wish for more rain for you... I would love to see some pictures!!!

Hope all is well with you and your family!!!

take care Jen!!!

Hi Sun!!!

You hit the nail om the head!!! They are all our favorites..LOL I see something else and i think Oh... i would love that one. Mango Beauty and JJ Orange is on the wish list for next year.. i really have to go to rehab...but, i checked..... "NO ROOM!!!' LOL!!! so i guess ill have to just wait another year to see if there is a spot for me and a few friends!!! : ) LOL!!! But they say... " NO, NO, NO...." LOL!!!

MY yard is loving the rain we have had...but like i mentioned in another post the mosquitoes are killers!!!

Hope all i well with you in San Diego!!! Is the sunshine back for you? I certainly hope so!!!

Take care Sun, have a great day!!!

Laura in VB

• 12 years ago

Laura, your plumeria blooms are beautiful. My question is what size of pots are your plants in? Would white pots or black pots be better for winter storage. Would 5 gallon, or 2 gallon be better? Barbra

• 12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Powderpuff... thank you very much!!!! I do enjoy playing and messing around in the yard..Therapy for me!!! : )

honeybunny,

I prefer black pots when i pot up my trees after they root in plastic bottles. I like to start in 1 gallon pots. Most of my trees are in 3 gallon to 5 gallon pots after several years. Three of my large trees that are 5 feet or larger are in five gallon black containers. I wont go any larger because i will root prune to keep them in the five gallon container so it wont be to large to bring in and out. The only time i wish that i did have the white pots is when we have the temps reach over 100* then with the heat index along with the trees in the black containers in the western sun, i worry...This summer i did put them inside other contsiners with mulch around them to protect the roots (soil) from getting to hot. I didnt want them to get to the point that they would kill the plants with excessive heat. They love the black pots. Some people like to place them in other containers. But i like the black...no need to change pots for winter storage. i leave them as is.

Hope this helps...

Have a great day!!!

Laura in VB