SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

August 2010 pics of the yard (and comparisons from early summer)

tropicalzone7
13 years ago

I cant believe its August already! This summer has been very nice to these plants. Ive never had a hummingbird in my yard until this year (they seem to like the tall red cannas). Ive seen 2 humming birds so far and Im sure they've been more that I havent seen. I wish I could get my camera fast enough to take a picture. The lantana and fan flowers seem to really attact the butterflies, many are very impressive colors and sizes and one of my hibiscus have been attracting a ridiculous amount of wasps and yellow jackets. The lady bugs have been everywhere too eating all the aphids and Ive been seeing a ton of moths. My palms are putting more growth than ever (windmill palms are at there 4th and 5th frond for the year and my sabal minor is on its 3rd frond). Even my pindo has finally pushed up 2 fronds.

So here are some pics of all the plants including my newest addition, a huge majesty palm (about 9 feet tall!!)

My hibiscus. It hasnt really grown too much this year but it has made some nice blooms.

>
>

Heres my pindo palm.

Heres a look at my pindo palm from May. I know what your thinking, look at all the growth, not! But at least is still alive from the winter!

>
>

The dragon wing begonias in this pot have grown so fast and so well. Its looking great with my Dwarf cavendish banana!

Heres a look at it earlier this year (late june), just a month or so after the begonias were planted in it.

>
>

Lots of ginger from hawaii. they are all sprouting now. I have know idea where I will be putting them next year when they are bigger, but fortunately I have all winter to figure it out.

>
>

Larger view

>
>

Yay! It took all summer, but my bougainvillea had a bloom!! A few more buds are showing now also. Maybe it will be covered in blooms before its time to take it in this fall.

>
>

Close up of the bougainvillea bloom

View of the area. The mexican petunias are getting a little root bound so they arent blooming as well as they used to. Ill divide it into new pots this fall before they go in.

Closer view of the plumerias

Plumeria inflo.

>
>

Double peach hibiscus blooming nicely with my Pygmy palm in the back ground

Pygmy palm doing well

Ice cream banana and my 2 coconut palms

Closer view of the Coconut palms. The smaller one is from hawaii, and the other was from ebay and bought last june as a newly sprouted plant (about the size the smaller one is now).

A look at the splitting fronds of the larger coconut palm. Im so happy that its starting to get mature fronds! Its going to start looking really tropical next summer!!

Ice cream banana and Super Dwarf Cavendish

>
>

Plumeria divine still blooming. Its been in bloom all summer and its really one of my favorite plants.

Heres one of the bunches of blooms on my divine

Close up of the flowers.

Another bloom pic

Heres a view of this corner with my absolutely huge majesty palm!!! The palm is about 9 feet tall and Its my tallest palm and 2nd tallest potted plant. It was a great price so I had to get it!

Philodendron and plumeria (with an inflo).

Plumeria inflo. This plumeria was new to this year

My majesty palm. Its going to be potted up soon and probably given the best spot I can give it when it goes inside this fall.

Long view of my Majesty palm

I forgot to add my agave pic.

>
>

This area is looking great!

Look at it earlier this year in late june.

Hawaiian tree fern from hawaii. its already rooting but no fronds opening up yet.

This is a triple pygmy palm. I had it from last year and 2 of the 3 palms in the pot had spear pull probably from lack of water. Now they are pushing new spears!!

Close up of the new pygmy fronds

Windmill palm is a little buried but doing great!

Heres a look from last year showing how alone it was :( I think the entire area looks much better this year.

Cannas in the ground are getting HUGE

Plumeria Pudica has lots of inflos, one is about to make some nice blooms.

My other windmill palm, also buried

Orleander

Some more tropicals all doing well including my mandevilla

Moth

Orleander flower

Passion fruit

Agave

This solandra maxima was only a foot in a half tall when I got it in early January 2010. Now its my tallest potted plant at about 10 feet tall!

Under the tree

Rubber tree

Bromeliad mounted on the tree

Bromeliad "Fireball"

Bromeliad "Donger"

I lost a lot of air plants over the winter, heres one that I still have

Queen palm

Alocasias. The Borneo Giant was pretty much dead so I put it in a pot in the shade and put it in a bad area for growing since I thought it was dead. Then when we started getting those triple digit heat, it opened a new leaf so i potted it up and put it back in the sun. Its thriving now!

Bottle palm recovering

Musa Basjoo

Lava plants from Hawaii

My 3rd and newest windmill palm

Sabal domingensis also new to this year

Medd fan palm newly planted this year

Medd fan palm pup

Sabal minor growing like crazy this summer! Its up to its 3rd frond!!

Sabal minor frond

Sabal minor frond (this is the 3rd one coming up now)

My new crape myrtle

Geraniums with the European fan palm in the background

Thanks for looking!!

Sorry for the amount of pics!

Hope everyones yards are looking great!

-Alex

Comments (20)