SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Tree Source Searching

Carrie B
19 years ago

Some of you were really helpful to me when I was in the process of getting my first (and only) gardening gig. Thank you!

My client has a city garden, and I can meet most of his needs at Home Depot and a few small City nurseries (and with divisions from my city garden).

In addition to my client's city back-yard garden, he also owns a farm out in the country. I have never been to the farm, and he's got a local caretaker for it. This fall, he asked me to research nursery stock for several types of trees he wants for the farm. He wants me to find, sycamore trees, tamarack (American larch) trees, (Dutch elm disease resistant) elms and others. He wants me to find fairly large trees (not seedlings) for the farm.

Where would you go first? I'm thinking I'll contact one of our city arboretums to get their advice, but I'm kind of at a loss. Also, I think we'll want to find a nursery that will ship/deliver largish trees, so the caretaker can plant them. I don't think I'll end up traveling out to the farm to garden for him there, and probably couldn't manage planting large trees at my current "professional" (and physical) level anyhow.

Comments (6)

Sponsored