SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Plant Propagation Questions

13 years ago

Hello;

I am looking to propagate my dogwood bushes, forsythia, willows, misc ground covers, weigela, Jap maple, and misc other perennials from my yard and my neighbors. I hope to have a garden sale next spring.

I read a book I got on amazon by Mike McGroarty about plant propagation. He says for many things that June is the time to take cuttings, so I figure I better get something setup that works soon if I am going to root things this year. He gives directions for making a setup with an aquarium. He says to just use a low nitrogen potting mix. I just made up a mix of peat and vermiculite, Is this okay?

This is what it looks like: (that in the painted aquarium in the back ground that sits on top of this base the the cuttings go into)

From cloner

I have a commercial mist system that I have not tried yet. It looks like this:

From cloner

My question about the cloner, is should I set this up outside? If so, do I need a dome for it? Otherwise should I set it up inside in a more temp controlled environment?

I also have stuff in water with an aerator on. I've had curly, weeping, and blue artic willows in that bucket for almost 2 weeks and I don't see any roots yet, I am not sure what I am doing wrong there.

From cloner

Thanks very much for any suggestions on any of my setups or.

Jamie Dolan

Comments (14)