SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearstate

Backyard Nursery

bearstate
17 years ago

Admittedly, gardening has not been one of my hobbies; but since last year, I've been taking a more keen interest. This has gone to the point of my creating a backyard nursery and experimenting with just plants bought from stores, seeds, cuttings, rhizomes and pups.

Here's what the nursery looks like as of today:

{{gwi:1172288}}

The climbing roses have been there from the start, and the potato bush has been the source of some cuttings. The photo shows a lot, including seed starters mostly, under window screen material which 1) reduces direct sunlight, 2) keeps birds out and 3) reduces the impact of raindrops.

This photo includes Bougainvillea, Arbor Vitae Orientalis from Cuttings, Potato Bush from Cuttings, Ruffled Red Rhododendron from Cuttings, Puya Alpestris from pups, Dutch Iris from Bulbs, Seeds: Two Species of Tecoma, Candelabra Bush, Two Species of Heliconia, Touch Me Nots, Senecio, Blue Jacaranda, Yellow Trumpet ( Tebebuia ), Gingko Biloba, Bird of Paridise ( Reginae ), Habnero Peppers and 2 species of Puya, et al.

Here's a close up of some plain paper cups used as seed starters:

{{gwi:1172291}}

For very fine small seeds like Puya Alpestris and Puya Berteroniana, I've used egg cartons:

{{gwi:1172293}}

But the sapplings are so small and fragile, a rain drop could wash them away, so I advise using germination mats and then transplat them when they get large enough.

Don't forget to slit the bottoms of paper cups and egg cartons for drainage.

Rhododendron Seeds are very fine and small too and deserve the germination mat treatment.

I stumbled upon the Jiffy 7 mini greenhouses in Wal Mart and these things which have dried peat pellets which expand with addition of water are a great idea. Here I have Candelabria Bush ( Cassia Alata ) and Heliconia ( Latispatha and Schiedana ) seeds germing in Jiffy 7s:

{{gwi:1172295}}

But even before the Jiffy 7s, I had thought to use empty soda bottles for my Phoenix

Dactylifera ( Medjool Date Palms ) because 1) I didn't want to go buying an army of pots and 2) I wanted something that I could just cut the bottom off and easily transplant the palms when they were ready:

{{gwi:1172298}}

You just cut off the tops and slit the bottoms to allow draining water. The tops can be used to create a greenhouse, but fitting them back into the top of the bottles:

{{gwi:1172300}}

Notice the two Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream cartons with soda bottle tops in the foreground of this photo. These contain each, a tiny Puya Alpestris and Puya Berteronica, respectively, rescued with great care from the egg carton seed started pictured above.

Cuttings? Heres Platycladus ( Formerly Thuja ) Orientalis, also known and Arbor Vitae Orientalis:

{{gwi:1172302}}

Only the 2 very green ones have rooted, the others unfortunately, did not root and are dead. This bears testimony to the fact that 1) cuttings only work if they are done at certain times of the year and 2) softwood and hardwood cuttings require different treatments, misting in particular which can be done for softwood cuttings. Creating a platic bag greenhouse over them is not really necessary if you are diligent with garden hose misting.

And here are some Puya Alpestris pups cut away from larger mature plants that were calving several pups:

{{gwi:1172304}}

No Misting required for the Puya Pups.

Not in any of these photos is a plant that I have had great success cloning by separation, Bird of Paradise. These plants can be broken up from clusters and spread around quite easily and they are in my opinion, very cool plants, ie. I like 'em.

Have a nice day.

Da Bear

Comments (9)